Looking for Reccomendations on Classical
May 31, 2007 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
I've never really gotten into Classical, but for some reason I'm thinking it would be fun to explore. I'm looking for something dark, emotional, brooding... Something like an equivalent to Tool or Nine Inch Nails in the Classical world. I appreciate any input.

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 20
I think I've waited an adequate amount of time to bump. So here it goes...

BUMP!

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 20
Try Rachmaninov's "Isle of the Dead". Slow, dark, brooding.

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 20
Mussorgsky Pictures At An Exhibition or Bald Mountain, Tchaikovsky symphonies, Rimsky Korsakov's Schehrezade, Wagner's Tristan und Isolde

See ya
Steve

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 20
Rachmaninoff, Shostakovitch, Wagner, and Rimsky-Korsakov are good places to start. Specifically, Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no. 2 in C minor ALWAYS gives me the chills--there's something very dark and powerful about that piece.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 20
wagner overtures, shostakovich symphonies, greig A- piano concerto, mendelssohn e- violin concerto, tchaikovsky violin concerto, schumann a- piano concerto, tchaikovsky B-flat piano concerto, beethoven sonatas (highly recommend Gulda or Brendel playing) (listen to the no. 31 A flat especially), gould 1955 recording of the goldberg variations (theres a good anniversary release of glenn gould called "The Italian Album").

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 20
I second the Glenn Gould album (1955 Goldberg Variations). There's a later recording he made which I found available in SACD format as well.

Barber's Adagio for Strings (famously in "Platoon") is one of the most moving pieces I've ever heard. And of course, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart... you can't go wrong with them.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 20
Wow one bump and I get a lot of responses. Thanks guys.

Do you guys have a favorite source for buying classical? I was just thinking of checking out my local CD shop, if nothing there Amazon.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #11 of 20
Late Tchaikovsky, or Chopin. If Trent Reznor was a sypmphonic composer, he would've been a romantic composor. Perhaps Gyorgi Ligetti's piano pieces featured in Eyes Wide Shut, forgot the name of the collection though.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Late Tchaikovsky, or Chopin. If Trent Reznor was a sypmphonic composer, he would've been a romantic composor. Perhaps Gyorgi Ligetti's piano pieces featured in Eyes Wide Shut, forgot the name of the collection though.

Musica ricercata, with the major selection being the second piece, "Mesto, rigido e cerimoniale." I recommend Aimard's 1996 recording on Sony Classical as par of their "György Ligeti Edition."

Of course, Ligeti wrote a lot of music that would fit your bill.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 20
I second other here. Tchaikovsky's 6th. It makes even the most intense passages of TOOL seem like post-release Paris Hilton's first accoutic emo album. Just imagine a whole stage of people playing for their very lives. I also own three versions of Bach's Cello Suites; so that sort of speaks for itself. (A forth is on its way)

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 20
Smetena's "The Moldau" is brooding in it's own way, and it explores conflict/dissimilarity in a way that some Industrial rock fans could possibly appreciate. Rimsky-Korsakov's "Night on Bare Mountain" is another good bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back