Looking for quality portables - Options beyond Beyers, Sennheiser Momentum and M-100s
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

spindex

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, looking for suggestions on a good pair of closed capsule, durable and compact cans.

Background:

It was only 6 months ago I got a quality pair of cans for home use.  I got M-50s after experimenting with half a dozen other pairs, some far more expensive, but all of which revealed a bit too much bias for the price in some facet.

By no means do I find ATH-M50s to be a perfect solution.  I simply didn't want to pay more only to discover a coloration to the sound, and will wait to purchase a quality pair of open capsules when I have more money.

I enjoy a lot of detail in my music so the sparkling highs and relative lack of bias were good selling points for the ATH-M50s; but I do get frustrated with the flat presentation/thin soundstage.

They're a great pair for getting the feel of a *recording*, but NOT for revealing the detail of how something was *recorded*.

Why I need a pair of portables

My Klipsch Image S4 IEMs have worn out their welcome on those long subway rides.  I need a pair of portable full-size closed capsules and I consider my ATH-M50s unwieldy and believe in making purchases that are tooled for the task.

I've tried Beyer COPs, Sennheiser Momentums, V-MODA Crossfade M-100s HD249s, Grados, and a few others.

The Momentums are well balanced sound. But it's actually rather laid back and mid-centric.  I'd believe they would be pleasant, reasonably musical with a nice sounding but not overtly wide soundstage;

My complaint is at $350 they seem less impressive than somewhat larger headphones I've heard in that range.  I know that you're paying for portability, yet I am not impressed by the retro-aesthetic and pathetic slide bar design.

the V-MODAs are actually quite musical to my ear.  Higher attack and less laid back than the Momentums, which excites the ear at first.  But damn, so clearly coloring the sound;  They are certainly less accurate than Momentums-- they give it the recording an unnaturaly, circular swirling soundstage with major emphasis on the lows and mids.  However NOT much less detailed than many seem to claim; just less laid back, less room to breathe.  

I am tempted to like them, they are oh so comfortable, but again, this is the best in accuracy and portable build that $300 can fetch?   At the end of the day, my real reservation is the step-down in detail in the highs will prove to be an annoyance.

IGrados have a nice treble along with a warmth, if not the most accurate can out there; but I find them awkward and uncomfortable.

I want to try Sony MDR1Rs but haven't found them off the internet.  I hear they're nice.  But still, not the most detailed and are still plasticky and bulky for a portable.

I am actually tempted to get the V-MODA M-100s but it seems utterly ridiculous for a lover of all genres including ethnic world music and classical music to get a pair of club raver cans!

Any suggestions?   Again, emphasis on portability, style and durability along with balance and accuracy.

-spindex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back