Looking for quality headphones that won't break the bank. Personal use
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AriGibson

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a nice cheap, reliable pair of headphones. What I'm using currently is a pair of Logitech G340s, which are gaming headphones. I haven't had many issues with these, until recently some problems with the cord that reduces some aspects of the music/videos, particularly voice. So anyway, I'm looking for a good replacement. I do game quite a lot, but I've learned from my mistakes of buying a gaming headset. The sound quality works fine for me, but I hate spending my money on looks and other features that don't matter to me, like washable earpads.

If anyone has any ideas for good, cheap, and reliable headphones I would love to hear them. Microphone or no microphone is fine. If it doesn't have a microphone, then preferably with a little cash left over to spend on a quality mic that attaches to headphone, such as a ModMic. Still, I want to hear anything you have to offer.

Some that I looked at before include the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=dp_ob_title_ce), which are made for mixing and definitely a lot more than I want to spend on something for casual use, but I liked the high quality sound, bass, and extremely comfortable-looking headband. Another one that interested me is a combination of modular headphones from AiAiAi. I used the combination of S04-H03-E02-C0, which cost $220. You can view that combination here: https://aiaiai.dk/configurator. Again, I like the high bass, comfortable-looking earpads, and the comfortable looking headband.

These are just some things that I liked about them, but I want to see what all of you guys use, and what you would recommend for me. 

Thanks so much! 
dt880smile.png

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 32
  Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a nice cheap, reliable pair of headphones. What I'm using currently is a pair of Logitech G340s, which are gaming headphones. I haven't had many issues with these, until recently some problems with the cord that reduces some aspects of the music/videos, particularly voice. So anyway, I'm looking for a good replacement. I do game quite a lot, but I've learned from my mistakes of buying a gaming headset. The sound quality works fine for me, but I hate spending my money on looks and other features that don't matter to me, like washable earpads.

If anyone has any ideas for good, cheap, and reliable headphones I would love to hear them. Microphone or no microphone is fine. If it doesn't have a microphone, then preferably with a little cash left over to spend on a quality mic that attaches to headphone, such as a ModMic. Still, I want to hear anything you have to offer.

Some that I looked at before include the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=dp_ob_title_ce), which are made for mixing and definitely a lot more than I want to spend on something for casual use, but I liked the high quality sound, bass, and extremely comfortable-looking headband. Another one that interested me is a combination of modular headphones from AiAiAi. I used the combination of S04-H03-E02-C0, which cost $220. You can view that combination here: https://aiaiai.dk/configurator. Again, I like the high bass, comfortable-looking earpads, and the comfortable looking headband.

These are just some things that I liked about them, but I want to see what all of you guys use, and what you would recommend for me. 

Thanks so much! 
dt880smile.png

Do you want open or closed headphones? What source do you use for music?

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 32
  Hmm, whats the main difference? The source is from my computer, going through a 2nd sound card with sound from the computer and another port for my headphones.

Open headphones leak sound both into and out of the headphone. They tend to have a better quality and size soundstage and may have better imaging as well. Closed headphones isolate the music within the headphone (some do this better than others) and tend to have better bass than an open headphone, on average. Those are the main differences. As a result of all this, open headphones are not good for portable options, since people will hear your music.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 32
Open headphones have vents, filters, mesh etc. on the sides. They block out no sound from the room and your music will leak into the room. They generally are liked more (I prefer them too) due to more natural and realistic sound. The Logitech where closed and are like most average headphones. 

I would not buy the M50x for serval reasons, no soundstage, harsh sound, and not much bass.

If you want open headphones and your budget allows the Philips Fidelio X2 would be perfect for you.  

If you want closed headphones the M40x would be better then M50x because it is less harsh and actually has soundstage, and a bit better bass too. 

If you have any questions just ask, and good luck finding the right pair. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 32
  Open headphones have vents, filters, mesh etc. on the sides. They block out no sound from the room and your music will leak into the room. They generally are liked more (I prefer them too) due to more natural and realistic sound. The Logitech where closed and are like most average headphones. 

I would not buy the M50x for serval reasons, no soundstage, harsh sound, and not much bass.

If you want open headphones and your budget allows the Philips Fidelio X2 would be perfect for you.  

If you want closed headphones the M40x would be better then M50x because it is less harsh and actually has soundstage, and a bit better bass too. 

If you have any questions just ask, and good luck finding the right pair. 

Thanks for all the help! I prefer closed more, just because of my small house and my annoying step mom who I would love to block out every once in a while. Also helped me remember what open headphones are. I also don't like my music/skype calls to leak out to others. 

Good to know that the M50x isn't a good option. Was most likely out of my price range anyway:p. I looked at the Philips ones, and while they do look nice, their out of my price range and that their open. However, the M40x sound like a definite option for me. I like the price, and if they sound better, then their on my list of headphones I've checked out so far.

Another thing to consider, I'm not an audiophile in anyway. I just like my music to sound good if ya know what I'm saying. Any $30-$100 options you might suggest? Lower end of that is better; I don't have a lot of cash set aside for headphones. I would love to see more options around $50 though. A much better option for me. Again, these $30 Logitech headphones sound great to me, but I don't have a lot of experience choosing amazing headphones. 

Very last thing, my dad owns a pretty nice pair of Audio-Technica for causal music production (don't know the model sorry) that are around $100. The only reason I even like those more than my Logitech is because of the padding that made it so damn comfortable. I couldn't really notice much difference in sound, but again, I know pretty much nothing about this stuff.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 32
  Hi everyone,

Thanks so much! 
dt880smile.png

If you want something that's closed and slightly bass heavy, I would check out the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. The pads on these are really comfortable, and of the closed headphones that I have heard, these are some of my favorites. I've heard the 80 ohm version, which might need an amp to maximize its potential. There is also a 32 ohm version that might be better without an amp. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 32
  If you want something that's closed and slightly bass heavy, I would check out the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. The pads on these are really comfortable, and of the closed headphones that I have heard, these are some of my favorites. I've heard the 80 ohm version, which might need an amp to maximize its potential. There is also a 32 ohm version that might be better without an amp. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Those look like a really nice pair. Unfortunetly, I don't think I can afford to spend that much on them. Any other suggestions that are closer to $100 and below? Thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 32
  Thanks for the suggestion! Those look like a really nice pair. Unfortunetly, I don't think I can afford to spend that much on them. Any other suggestions that are closer to $100 and below? Thanks!

The DT770 and the M50x are the only closed headphones I've listened to that match your criteria. I agree that the M50x can have a sharp sound and not enough bass. Maybe you could find a used DT770 for cheaper if you are willing to consider that; a friend of mine bought his used and he's happy with them. 

If you haven't already, you might check out Massdrop. Every so often they have some interesting looking closed back models. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 32
  The DT770 and the M50x are the only closed headphones I've listened to that match your criteria. I agree that the M50x can have a sharp sound and not enough bass. Maybe you could find a used DT770 for cheaper if you are willing to consider that; a friend of mine bought his used and he's happy with them. 

If you haven't already, you might check out Massdrop. Every so often they have some interesting looking closed back models. 

DT770? Yes!

I would go for the M40x or the DT770. 

If you get the DT770 make sure to get the 32ohm version so you can power them without an amp.

Totally forgot about MassDrop! Hopped on and found a pair of DT770's in the voting process. Their 80 ohms though, so will I need an extra amp?

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 32
You may or may not. What is your source?

Even if your source is not great they should still impress you. I have even considered getting DT770 myself just for the fun, bass and dynamics of them!

An amp would probably be a good upgrade for them down the road. 

If you do need or want an amp in the future to make them sound even better there are plenty of ones out there. The SMSL SAPII and Fiio e10k(also a DAC) would be great.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 32
  You may or may not. What is your source?

Even if your source is not great they should still impress you. I have even considered getting DT770 myself just for the fun, bass and dynamics of them!

An amp would probably be a good upgrade for them down the road. 

If you do need or want an amp in the future to make them sound even better there are plenty of ones out there. The SMSL SAPII and Fiio e10k(also a DAC) would be great.

My source is just my computer... Would you recommend an amp for that? Thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 32
Nearly every computer is different. Do you have any kind of sound card? If not do you happen to know your exact motherboard? I could find what amp chip is on it if you told me the brand and model. 

Usually the problem with PC is the DAC but since your not that big into critical listening we can overlook that for now.

Chances are that it will be just fine, but a Fiio e10k would really help and could be a great purchase later on. It would plug into USB and be a DAC and Amp, giving you the very best the DT770 would be capable of. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back