looking for quality for around $70
Aug 9, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 35
I would start with the age-old recommendation of SR-60s.

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by indiegirl89
i am thinking that circumaural is what i am looking for as far as comfort is concerned, and something which will block out sounds from the bus

Have you considered the sony mdr-v6 / mdr-7506? They are closed, circumaural, solidly built, around $70 new or $50 used on ebay, and can be easily driven out of an ipod. Soundwise, they are bright (some people think they are too harsh but i disagree), have powerful, slightly slow bass, and de-emphasized mids - kind of like the "rock" eq preset on some stereos. They are also very detailed. Comfort-wise, the ear pads are shallow and on the small side. If your ears fit they are pretty comfortable, but if they don't the cans sit more like supraurals. Since your ears are "strange," you should try a pair before you make any decisions.

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #19 of 35
If you want circumaural I would get the Sennheiser HD201... beats any of the Sony's I've tried and those are really your only options at sub $70 full sized closed headphones.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If you want circumaural I would get the Sennheiser HD201... beats any of the Sony's I've tried and those are really your only options at sub $70 fill sized closed headphones.
wink.gif

Grado 60s

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #21 of 35
As a fellow headphone noob I can tell you that I would suggest saving just a bit more money and going a step up. You more than likely will anyway. My first purchase was the ksc35's...great headphones...then less than a month later came the HD497...again great headphones and a huge improvement over the 35's...then again in about a month came the HD555's...by far is better than the other two combined. The point is that I was trying to spend as little as possible but soon found out the difference between $50 headphones (HD497) and $100 (HD555) is drastic. I haven't heard a lot of different headphones so I can't comment on all the different ones mentioned but the HD555's are fantastic. The most comfortable I have ever worn and they sound amazing with The Postal Service but they leave a little energy lacking in the rock department but they are still a huge step up from the Ipod earbuds. I too auditioned the Triports at Best Buy when I was shopping for phones and both the HD497's and by leaps and bounds the HD555's are better cans. I would suggest either of these cans but if you go for the 497's I will bet you will start saving for the 555's as soon as you get them. As far as good sound, portability and price the KSC35's are very hard to beat if you can get over the clip design.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Grado 60s

They are neither circumaural nor closed, so I don't see how you can really compare the two.
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #23 of 35
philodox has got the right idea, i get the feeling that the sr60's r amazing cans but they r really not the design im looking for. circumaural and closed is what i need. u can't be listening with open cans in school or the teachers get pissed off.
icon10.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 35
Take advantage of the ipod line output... KSC75, amp with a PA2, govibe, mint or cmoy variant. Should be able to find a good used one on the FS forum. Wonderfull bass impact. MOD the KSC to open up the mids and treble. Stellar budget duo IMHO.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 35
Finding quality closed, circumaural cans with decent isolation in this pricerange seems impossible doesn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

indiegirl89, if a local retailer happens to carry the HD201s you could buy and return just to test them out. Btw, could you consider a basic canalphone? - for you needs above (except for circumaural) I think this would be the best compromise for portability + sound quality.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 35
I was gonna say PortaPro until I saw that she wanted closed cans. V6/7506 seems like it would be a good choice, although I don't know how they sound out of an iPod. PX200, but I don't think they'd work out all that great with the bass deficiency.

If your ears can tolerate a canalphone there's a few options in your price range.

E2c ~$70 maybe
Sharp MD33 ~$30?
Sony EX81s ~$40
Super.fi 3 Studio ~$100 (come on just save thirty more $$)
there's a few more.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 35
I can assure you that the HD201's will not have the bass response you are looking for, not to mention they'd probably snap in half within days from being put in bookbags, etc. Same with the Triports. You'd go deaf before you'd be able to hear the KSC-75's over a diesel bus engine. I think the MDR-V6's would do well, not sure how well they are on isolation but they are built like tanks and sound good enough apparently.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #28 of 35
Oops... yeah KSCs are open.

V6 or HD280 perhaps? Drastically different sounds signatures, and isolation levels. Try and demo them at guitar center before buying.

Garrett

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by indiegirl89
philodox has got the right idea, i get the feeling that the sr60's r amazing cans but they r really not the design im looking for. circumaural and closed is what i need. u can't be listening with open cans in school or the teachers get pissed off.
icon10.gif

Well if that is what you are looking for then e2s and er6i. And hope that teacher doesn't call your name.

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #30 of 35
to be honest canals freak me out. also i like to randomly share my headphones to provide inspiration to my friends and there would be no way that they would be sticking something into their ear that was just in mine. gross!
biggrin.gif
ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back