looking for quality for around $70
Aug 8, 2005 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

indiegirl89

New Head-Fier
i got an ipod in may and ever since have had this sneaking suspicion that it defeats the purpose of having an mp3 player if u dont have the headphones to match. i am a high school student with no job besides babysitting so my budget is very small. i listen to every kind of music so i need something that will get me the high pitched nuances of the postal service and not leave me crying for bass when i listen to rage. i was looking into some second hand bose triports because i liked the look and feel of the ones i tried on in best buy
tongue.gif
but the combination of the high price and and all the bad publicity has got me thinking twice. i have never had a good pair of headphones so i am completely lost when trying to find some. any suggestions?

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 35
Depends what kind of headphones you want (closed, open, circumaural, supraaural, canal, earbud, etc.). If you're just listening out of your iPod, I think Koss KSC-75's would work well if you can deal with the flying saucer on ears look and will only be $15. If you just care about sound quality, the Grado SR-60's are hard to beat at that price ($70-ish).

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 35
Yep I recommend those koss clips too, it adds the bass dimension that you might be missing with the ipod - even tho the ipod buds give bass, it's horrible bass.

other than the KSC-75, check out the KSC-35 as well, which Creative is still dumping over at Ebay for 20 bucks.

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 35
i forgot to mention that i am looking for an over the head design. my ears are strange and other types tend to get uncomfortable after a half hour or so. comfort is a big issue. thanks for any and all advice, i am in way over my head.

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 35
I think you have 4 good options.

Closed - Non foldable

Sennheiser HD201 $20

Closed - foldable

Akg K26p $40

Open - Non foldable

Grado SR60 $70

Open - foldable

Sennheiser - PX100 $50

I have all of them except the hd201 which i'm planning to get soon to see what the fuss is about. For your needs, i'd recommend the AKGs.

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 35
I will also recommend the Sennheiser PX100. I don't know if there's an overhead headphone that can compete in comfort and portability. It also has lots of bass, and is imo a good all-arounder for it's range. I bought my pair for 40ish, but I wouldve paid 50 because I use them so much.

I would stay away from the Bose because the build quality is so questionable. You'll be duct taping the headband in no time! I have all mentioned (had SR60) overheads and IMHO will say that the other headphones can't touch the comfort level of the PX100s. Easiest to wear and most comfortable, period.

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I think you have 4 good options.

Closed - Non foldable

Sennheiser HD201 $20

Closed - foldable

Akg K26p $40

Open - Non foldable

Grado SR60 $70

Open - foldable

Sennheiser - PX100 $50

I have all of them except the hd201 which i'm planning to get soon to see what the fuss is about. For your needs, i'd recommend the AKGs.

I second the AKGs. The SR60's are the best in sound quality from that lot, however not everybody is down with the retro look (I personally have grown to like it .
rs1smile.gif
)

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 35
I would say either AKG K26P or Sennheiser HD201. They are both giant killers. The K26P has a better sound and portability, but is twice the cost. For $20 you can't go wrong with the HD201... and I think it has a better soundstage than the K26P if I remember correctly. [and it doesnt seem to have the sennheiser soundstage hole]

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 35
All of the suggested headphones sound like great choices - I am a high school student and have owned a pair of KSC-35's, Shure E2c's, and now Audio Technica A-900's (way out of your budget). If you want a pair of headphones now, I'd say get the KSC-35's for $20. Value-wise, that's unbeatable, and if you enjoy your taste of head-fi, you will have $50 saved towards another pair of headphones! The first time I put on my KSC-35's I could hear the difference, just the tightness and extension of the bass that you don't find in the stock iPod headphones. They clip to your ears so they can really fit almost anyone.

Another option you have is going second-hand. I did this with my A900's and am very glad that I did so because I was able to buy a headphone that was much better than what I could have purchased new. There are so many great headphones you will be able to find for under $100 used that will blow you away with soundstage and detail you might not find in the budget headphones. Just spending time over there looking and reseraching used headphones is incredibly educational and fun. Most sellers use paypal which might be a problem since you dont have a credit card but Im confident many would take a money order, and that's how I did it. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you choose you will be very happy with.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 35
The AKG K26P is just sick for the price, considering they offer suprisingly good sound, nice comfort, decent isolation, excellent portability and driveabilty, and a relatively covert look (compared to most cans), all for $40 or less. The Shure E2 is good if you need a ton of isolation, but they don't sound as good.

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 35
If you have weird shaped ears than the k26p, px100, and grados may not be for you since they are supra-aural, meaning they rest on the ears (the k26p in particular can be hard to get a seal). I also don't find them as comfortable for long periods of time. If you're willing to spend a little more look around at senn hd280 or hd555 (my recommendations for sound), audio-technica a500s look extremely large/comfortable as well.

edit: the for sale section of this board is an excellent place to get a deal.

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 35
I would definately recomend the Grado Sr-60s. They can't be beat for sound quality at that price point. I have had some for a few years and I still love them. They arent really as bad looking as everyone makes them sound either. I thin they look quite nice. Although I guess that doesnt stop people from looking at you all funny when wearing them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back