Looking for power cable advice
Nov 28, 2020 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ThanatosVI

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

My system nears completion and yesterday I started with Power Management.
I included a PS Audio stellar P3 and it brought an obvious change to the sound.

Now I am thinking about Power cables.
I'd need 3-4 in total (amp, dac, Power regenerator itself and next year for the streamer)

Which Power cables are worth recommending. How Big is the difference between something like
Stock vs 200€ cable?
200 vs 400€ cables?
Are there dimnishing returns, or is it more like entry level cables only give very little Benefits while it becomes much more apparent After a certain price/quality?

Would it be adviceable to get a better cable for the amp while something more basic is sufficient for DAC and streamer? (Since it draws more current, in my case a tube amp with up to 140w nominal consumption)
I.e. something of the Class like an Audioquest thunder for the amp, while nrg-z or monsoon is enough for the rest

How are lampizator cables?
They offer Half price when buying a bundle of 5

Looking forward to your Input.
Please keep the recommendations in the 3 Digit realm per cable

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Nov 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 10
You want advice? Don't waste your money on power cables :wink:

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 10
I went to my dealer the other day to have a new cartridge mounted on my Turntable. I mentioned that I had stock power cables and couldn't understand how power cables could make a difference. (I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have worked in Factory Automation my whole career). So after mounting the cartridge we put my TT on a Rogue Audio Cronus Integrated (his was v3 mine is v1). We then proceeded to swap in different power cables. First stock, then IsoTek Evo3 Initium, the Nordost Blue Heaven. Yeah short demo convinced me. I don't understand why it is the case, but the was an absolutely noticeable difference in his system. The speakers were the big difference between his and my system. He had Devore O/93 speakers hooked up and dialed in. That's about 8 times the price of my speakers.

Not sure how your Stellar P3 would influence this, but I absolutely heard the difference. The stock cable didn't sound bad to me (I love my amp), but the sound got cleaner and transients seemed faster. The Initium was a huge difference over stock. The Blue Heaver was incrementally better again.

In the US the pricing is $99 for the Initium and about $250 for the Blue Heaven. I am now saving for better power cords although now is not the time for me to spend money on this.

I don't know what you financial ability is, but starting with just cables on the amp was a huge difference for us. It would also make sense to do the power generator.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 10
I went to my dealer the other day to have a new cartridge mounted on my Turntable. I mentioned that I had stock power cables and couldn't understand how power cables could make a difference. (I do have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and have worked in Factory Automation my whole career). So after mounting the cartridge we put my TT on a Rogue Audio Cronus Integrated (his was v3 mine is v1). We then proceeded to swap in different power cables. First stock, then IsoTek Evo3 Initium, the Nordost Blue Heaven. Yeah short demo convinced me. I don't understand why it is the case, but the was an absolutely noticeable difference in his system. The speakers were the big difference between his and my system. He had Devore O/93 speakers hooked up and dialed in. That's about 8 times the price of my speakers.

Not sure how your Stellar P3 would influence this, but I absolutely heard the difference. The stock cable didn't sound bad to me (I love my amp), but the sound got cleaner and transients seemed faster. The Initium was a huge difference over stock. The Blue Heaver was incrementally better again.

In the US the pricing is $99 for the Initium and about $250 for the Blue Heaven. I am now saving for better power cords although now is not the time for me to spend money on this.

I don't know what you financial ability is, but starting with just cables on the amp was a huge difference for us. It would also make sense to do the power generator.
In the meantime I decided on nrg custom cables.
They received great reviews and among power cables they are among the more affordable ones.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 10
I am new to the whole power side of this thing. If you could let me/us know how they sound once you get them I'd appreciate it.
Will do so, however depending on customs this might or might not be during this year

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Will do so, however depending on customs this might or might not be during this year
No Worries. I'm getting crushed financially between Christmas and an unplanned bathroom remodel. Power Cords are mid next year for me probably. I was just blown away at the difference. I was definitely in the "upgrade power cords are complete BS camp" before.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 10
No Worries. I'm getting crushed financially between Christmas and an unplanned bathroom remodel. Power Cords are mid next year for me probably. I was just blown away at the difference. I was definitely in the "upgrade power cords are complete BS camp" before.
I was "lucky" that the stock cable of the Arya was way too short.

Due to that I bought an entry level cable from Norne. It was surprising how much effect it actually had.

Since then I am in the "cable believer Camp"
Ordered a ToTL headphone cable, interconnects and even power cables.

Can't wait for them to arrive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back