Looking for portables similar in quality to HD 497s...
Sep 23, 2004 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Emon

1000+ Head-Fier
...or similar quality headphone. Is there such a thing that is portable? It would have to be behind the next or an earbud, I can't have a headband when biking. I don't want to spend much more than 30 or 40 dollars, so good earbuds are probably out of the picture. Are there any good behind the neck cans in this range? I'm looking for something well balanced, as I listen to all sorts of music. Also, how would behind the neck or clip on phones' quality be compared to the e2c? If the e2cs are really that good, I might just invest a little and get those.

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think that in that price range there is a can that sounds similiar to the HD-497s. I think it's not a matter of quality, but preference. The 497s, I feel, are quite neutral. Other great headphones in that range might be the KSC-35s or new KSC-75s, or maybe portapros. But those sound very different than the 497s.
Though I've never heard them, I would suspect that the Er-6 would sound similar in sound sig to the 497s, but better.

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 5
When I say quality, I just mean overall...goodness of the headphone I guess. Like if I'm used to the HD497s as my primary pair (which I am), I'm looking for something that will sound almost "as good".

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Lol, I don't even like the sound of the HD497s. They are too dry.

I personally prefer the sonic characteristics of the Porta Pros/KSC35/Sennheiser PX100, but they have a different signature. Those phones are in your price range.

Currently Listening to: "Should I stay or should I go?" by the Clash on my ATH-A900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back