Looking For Portable, Stylish, and Comfortable OverEar For All Genres (Bowers and Wilkins P7 vs BeoPlay H6)
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

miumius

New Head-Fier
Hello,
        I had to return my beautiful Sennheiser Momentum's as I found the cups to be quite uncomfortable as my ears constantly struggled to fit inside (they managed to fit after a while, but any more than hour of use was pretty uncomfortable). To add to that the case was unreasonably gigantic and the sound, while fantastic, was a bit too dark and un-open (I'm not an audiophile so I'm not sure how to say this, but I'd prefer a larger soundstage). 

Recently I checked out the BeoPlay H6 at the B&O store and fell in love with the design (specifically the light brown) and the comfort. While I didn't find the sound as striking as the Momentums, I appreciated how balanced they were. While I'd prefer something a little more exciting, I'm interested to hear your guys's thoughts on these.

I haven't tried the B&W P7 before but I love the look the P3 and I'm hearing some very positive impressions. So if any of you can provide an opinion on these that would be awesome.

So with regards to comfort, style, portability, and sound which of these two would be the best option? My budget is around $400 so if you guys have any other suggestions or input I'd really appreciate it. 

If it helps my ears are about 60-ish mm. I listen to everything from rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, alternative, folk, r&b etc usually at itunes/320(if from cd) quality. I'll mostly be listening ampless from an iPhone 5S.

Thank you!!

Oh and as a sidenote the Momentums are really really fantastic headphones they just didn't vibe well with my ears. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 15
If comfort on the Momentum was an issue for you and you enjoyed their sound, check out the Sony MDR-1R. Very close to the same dynamics, but much much more comfortable. It's been my full-sized closed can of choice for travel for quite some time. The others you listed are decent cans, but I feel like you are paying a slight premium for the style.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 15
  If comfort on the Momentum was an issue for you and you enjoyed their sound, check out the Sony MDR-1R. Very close to the same dynamics, but much much more comfortable. It's been my full-sized closed can of choice for travel for quite some time. The others you listed are decent cans, but I feel like you are paying a slight premium for the style.

I liked the MDR-1R in the store... but I couldn't really try them since the sound was broken I might check again. But yea they were comfortable and looked pretty great. However call me superficial but I don't mind paying a little premium for materials/looks since I'm paying so much anyways. Since I kind of know how the H6's sound, can you briefly explain how the P7's sound in comparison to the Momentums/MDR-1R? As I noted in the original post, I wasn't fully down with the Momentum's sound (for $350). 

But thank you for reminding me of those I'll add it to the poll :)
EDIT: jk not sure if I can edit the poll.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 15

I liked the MDR-1R in the store... but I couldn't really try them since the sound was broken I might check again. But yea they were comfortable and looked pretty great. However call me superficial but I don't mind paying a little premium for materials/looks since I'm paying so much anyways. Since I kind of know how the H6's sound, can you briefly explain how the P7's sound in comparison to the Momentums/MDR-1R? As I noted in the original post, I wasn't fully down with the Momentum's sound (for $350). 

But thank you for reminding me of those I'll add it to the poll :)
EDIT: jk not sure if I can edit the poll.

I don't think anyone is going to call you superficial around here. I want to drop some decent bills on an Alessandro Music Series Pro only because I think it is a thing of beauty. Generally, headphones of this type are pretty warm because they are taking into account they are made to be traveled around with where outside noise is going to be an issue. The Momentum is definitely pretty warm. The others are fairly warm. The 1R is closer to neutral which is more of my taste. I'm not a fan of introducing too much color into my music.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 15
The P7 is definitely warmer compared to the MDR-1R, very tight but impactful bass, sub-bass is pretty awesome, mids are smooth and just a tiny bit recessed. If you compare them with the Momentums, I think the P7 is slightly warmer but with better clarity. I really like the comfort in the P7 too, ear cups are gigantic and the leather padding (and clamp) is gentle on the head. In terms of portability and comfort, the only drawback I can think of would be that they're a bit heavy and you may feel it on the top of your head (at the headband) after a few hours, especially if your headband isn't properly adjusted.

Sound wise, works for a wide variety of genres (I listen to pop, trance, EDM, classical). The bass and sub-bass works especially well for modern genres, and they don't feel bloated or overpowering the mids. Build quality wise, they're built like a tank -- no visible plastic, cables are thick and well-protected. Style -- some people hate it, some people love it, personally I think it's gorgeous with the metal and leather styling.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 15
The P7 is definitely warmer compared to the MDR-1R, very tight but impactful bass, sub-bass is pretty awesome, mids are smooth and just a tiny bit recessed. If you compare them with the Momentums, I think the P7 is slightly warmer but with better clarity. I really like the comfort in the P7 too, ear cups are gigantic and the leather padding (and clamp) is gentle on the head. In terms of portability and comfort, the only drawback I can think of would be that they're a bit heavy and you may feel it on the top of your head (at the headband) after a few hours, especially if your headband isn't properly adjusted.

Sound wise, works for a wide variety of genres (I listen to pop, trance, EDM, classical). The bass and sub-bass works especially well for modern genres, and they don't feel bloated or overpowering the mids. Build quality wise, they're built like a tank -- no visible plastic, cables are thick and well-protected. Style -- some people hate it, some people love it, personally I think it's gorgeous with the metal and leather styling.

Thank you for this. I'll probably get this. Though would you say that the P7's need an amp (from iPhone)?

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 15
e Sony SQuote:
  I don't think anyone is going to call you superficial around here. I want to drop some decent bills on an Alessandro Music Series Pro only because I think it is a thing of beauty. Generally, headphones of this type are pretty warm because they are taking into account they are made to be traveled around with where outside noise is going to be an issue. The Momentum is definitely pretty warm. The others are fairly warm. The 1R is closer to neutral which is more of my taste. I'm not a fan of introducing too much color into my music.

Thanks, I'll definitely try this next time I go to the Sony Store

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 15
Thank you for this. I'll probably get this. Though would you say that the P7's need an amp (from iPhone)?

An amp is not necessary as the P7 sounds splendid playing straight from my iPad/iPhone. However, I do need to turn up the volume to 70% for decent music playback. I just got my Fiio E17 yesterday but haven't managed to test it out with the P7 yet as I'm still waiting for the Fiio L3 cable to come (hopefully by tomorrow).

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 15
The P7 is meant to be played right out of portable devices. No need to worry about amping with that thing as it is very efficient.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 15
I've only heard the P7.  Now it was a short listen but I wasn't surprised at the SQ.  They sound $300, not $400.

I'd go elsewhere if you want a competitive sound, with perhaps better style:
ES FC300: I swear these are some of the best closed cans I've heard period.  Right up there with the P7.
ATH WS99: Dark warm sound.  Same league.
Momentum: Really on ear.
M100: bassy, same league
AKG K545: haven't heard them, but they are in the same league most definitely.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 15
I used an iPod Classic to drive the P7s and they worked a treat. Very good sounding headphones. I found the H6s more comfortable though (and I like the design just a tad more) so I'm leaning towards those at the moment. If you didn't like the Momentums, I say go with the H6s but you should really try the P7s so you can decide for yourself.

But damn, I have to try those Onkyos..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back