Looking for portable recommendations, non-iem
Aug 16, 2008 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Log1c

New Head-Fier
So I'm trying to find some decent headphones for laptop and pmp use. I have a couple odd requirements though.

1) No Iem's, because co-workers can sneak up on me. so I don't need the isolation. Also I have some super.fi 3's already and I can't wear them for long without them hurting a bit or becoming loose every minute.
2) They can't have the 'headband hair' effect. Yup thats a requirement!
biggrin.gif
I'll be wearing them at school and work and I'd prefer my narcissism stay intact
3) About $50, definitely less than $100 though.

The only ones that really caught my eye were these I have a pair for AD500's so I know Audio Technica is a good brand, I searched the forums and couldn't find if anyone else had tried em.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 7
Sennheiser makes great products for reasonable prices. Check out their website to find a product that suits you. I got MX500 ear buds for around $30, and they sound fantastic. They don't go in you ear canal, just sit outside your ear. BTW, when I want to hear co-workings around me as well as listen to something, I just put one in one ear, and leave the other one open
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 7
So...no IEM, no headband, approx. $50, and...semi-open?

Sennheiser's PMX100 seems to fit the bill, as does iGrado. Both are neckband-style cans. The PMX100s are open, iGrados are semi. The former is cheaper than the latter, at least on HeadRoom.

What about canalphones? The Denons are kind of open as well. AH-C351s are cheap, and better than the CX300s. The 551s are favoured here, and are currently $50 on Amazon (from a reputable seller).

Hope this helps.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalibahlu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, when I want to hear co-workings around me as well as listen to something, I just put one in one ear, and leave the other one open
wink.gif

Haha yeah! Its just unnerving to be surfin the web only to turn around and realize your coworker is standing behind you. Its mainly that my current IEM's just aren't comfortable enough for extended listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong
What about canalphones? The Denons are kind of open as well. AH-C351s are cheap, and better than the CX300s. The 551s are favoured here, and are currently $50 on Amazon (from a reputable seller).

Yeah I'm not opposed to canalphones, which is what the super.fi's almost end up being (they just don't stay put well enough!) I'll have to evaluate my options..

thanks!

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...no IEM, no headband, approx. $50, and...semi-open?

Sennheiser's PMX100 seems to fit the bill, as does iGrado. Both are neckband-style cans. The PMX100s are open, iGrados are semi. The former is cheaper than the latter, at least on HeadRoom.

Hope this helps.

x2 for the iGrados, I think those are probably your best option. As far as narcissistic considerations , you may find that a pair of HD650s or AH-D5000s adds to your appeal...
tongue_smile.gif

The other two I would consider are both earbud style. The Denons are a good choice and if you can save up $79, the Yuin OK3s are probably your best bet.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DARKHAVEN agrees with me! Score!
biggrin.gif

Hey, when you're right, you're right.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back