Looking for portable light weight over the ears! [Need advice]
Jan 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Antic

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone i'm sorry to post a highly over posted thread like this but I need some personal advice here. I own some HD280's and they're great and all but I need something portable for walking to class, ect. The problem with the 280's is 1. they have a coiled cable 2. they're heavy though this is for a reason (there durability) and 3. They are to bulky (the head band sticks out far from the head). They also get pretty warm and feel uncomfortable to walk with. My price range is $150 and under.

I need a pair of cans that are closed over the ear, are pretty lightweight and not bulky. Style is semi important to me I just dont want the band sticking out far from my head. The HD448 is kind of the style im going for though I dont really like the 448's due to there messy bass.

I listen to a lot of downtempo electronic and IDM music as well as rap.

Thanks everyone!

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 6
I suggest the Ultrasone Hfi-780s. This takes you right to your $150 budget but it will be well worth it IF you decide to get them. The bass is tight and controlled. It stays as bass and doesn't "bleed" into the other frequencies. They are over-the-ear and pretty lightweight.

Some will say that these are really uncomfortable but I will tell you right now that they are not! Right out of the box, yes, they do squeeze your head pretty tightly but once you wear them for a while or stretch them out over a box for a night, they loosen up and feel great! All the people that I've had try these out say that they are very comfortable, and they have all said those exact same words. "Very comfortable"

I made a video review on the 780s but I had a stuffy nose and really didn't appreciate the headphones as much as I do now. Even though the quality may be low in the eyes of some, here's it is as I hope it will aid in your decision making.

Hope this helps!

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Sennheiser HD25

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Jan 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 6
The HD25's are actually in my range and a headphone that I have actually considered quiet a bit. I really really wish I had access to them to try them on and see how I like them though. I also hate how the headphone connects to the top of each ear and how present the wire looks appearance wise (if that makes any sense). I only hear great things about them. Though I think I may want a full over the ear headphone (the Hd25's seem a little more on ear.)

EDIT: I didnt really see that they went back up in price on Amazon (they were about $150 last time I looked). How's the bass with the 25's?

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
The HD25's are actually in my range and a headphone that I have actually considered quiet a bit. I really really wish I had access to them to try them on and see how I like them though. I also hate how the headphone connects to the top of each ear and how present the wire looks appearance wise (if that makes any sense). I only hear great things about them. Though I think I may want a full over the ear headphone (the Hd25's seem a little more on ear.)

EDIT: I didnt really see that they went back up in price on Amazon (they were about $150 last time I looked). How's the bass with the 25's?

They're a bassy headphone well-suited to common genres, and I found the bass pretty nice after burn-in. It's never overpowering, but it is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back