Looking for portable headphone. ($200-$400)
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

leebang

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, my Denon AH-1100 almost dead now, so planning to find a new one for outside.
Budget: $200-$400 USD

Want:
Comfortable, over ear, changeable cable,  better to be close back, not beats and sennheiser (not racist :p).
I listen various type of music, prefer great female vocal performance headphone.

I tried Sony MDR 1A and it is not bad, but a bit small for my ear lel.

Tried Denon D2000 long time ago, and I already forgot the sound. It will be an ideal headphone to me if I can find it and tried it again but sadly cannot find a place in Toronto.

Thanks for your helping : )
All the best.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 12
Unfortunately, the Denon D2000 is gone - discontinued several years ago. Denon replaced the excellent D2000 & D5000 with headphones that are, quite frankly, significantly inferior. They went "urban" - tossing away the audiophile market to chase the Beats crowd. A very, very sad day for head-fi!!

So - what fills the gap left by the D2000? Good question. I would have said the Sennheiser Momentum, but you have already excluded Sennheiser. So, perhaps the NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Professional or Mr. Speakers Mad Dog (needs an amp) or PSB M4U-1?

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 12
I would add possibly the Soundmagic HP100 to the mix, as a fairly portable, somewhat foldable can that sounds terrific and is comfortable. This may be one of those rare cases in which the 100 works better than the 150.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 12
if not considering sennheiser's new offering the momentum over-ear gen2, the sub-$200 AKG K545, $300 NAD Viso HP50  and $400 Oppo PM-3 are my personal favorite portable closed back headphones picks at the moment for each price bracket. the akg k545 for best overall performance:dollar value and the pm-3 for a high quality package that best fits my personal sound signature criteria & intended usage. they all have very high sound quality & pretty neutral-oriented sound signatures.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 12
akg k545 for $179 + $2S&H. https://www.buysonic.com/products/akg-k545/

note please read this carefully: https://www.buysonic.com/return-policy/

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Unfortunately, the Denon D2000 is gone - discontinued several years ago. Denon replaced the excellent D2000 & D5000 with headphones that are, quite frankly, significantly inferior. They went "urban" - tossing away the audiophile market to chase the Beats crowd. A very, very sad day for head-fi!!

So - what fills the gap left by the D2000? Good question. I would have said the Sennheiser Momentum, but you have already excluded Sennheiser. So, perhaps the NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Professional or Mr. Speakers Mad Dog (needs an amp) or PSB M4U-1?

Thanks for your advice, I will try them in store first.
It's a pity that Denon not being "classic" anymore. Urban series are just like jokes :frowning2:

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 12
  I would add possibly the Soundmagic HP100 to the mix, as a fairly portable, somewhat foldable can that sounds terrific and is comfortable. This may be one of those rare cases in which the 100 works better than the 150.

Great, then I will try this as well.
Just realized that Soundmagic is from China, it might be easier for me to try them out when I go back : ).
Thank you for your advices

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 12
  if not considering sennheiser's new offering the momentum over-ear gen2, the sub-$200 AKG K545, $300 NAD Viso HP50  and $400 Oppo PM-3 are my personal favorite portable closed back headphones picks at the moment for each price bracket. the akg k545 for best overall performance:dollar value and the pm-3 for a high quality package that best fits my personal sound signature criteria & intended usage. they all have very high sound quality & pretty neutral-oriented sound signatures.

akg k545 for $179 + $2S&H. https://www.buysonic.com/products/akg-k545/

note please read this carefully: https://www.buysonic.com/return-policy/

I agree with money4me247, I would get the Oppo PM3! Read his review big sound that won't break the bank.

Looks like I get to try Oppo one in sometime
I saw some ppl using akg one on street and it looks good, probably will try them in store as well

Thanks all guys 

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 12
  I have tried P7 before, its bass and details are good.
It will be great if I can found some place to try Soundmagic one
Thanks for your help

I've tried the P7 and I think you can find better quality options at that price point. bass was a bit congested and not as clean (imo for my preferences). bit of v-shaped frequency response as well. though it really just depends whether its sound signature clicks with you I guess. personal demos with headphones is always more helpful than someone else's impressions with their own biases.

no experience with the soundmagic one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back