Looking for portable cousin to the DT770s
Jun 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ndc44

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a pair of portable(ish) headphones to use at the office and casually while traveling or something. I currently have a pair of DT770 80 ohms, which I absolutely adore. I also have DT880 but am not the biggest fan of open back headphones (sorry for the blasphemy). And since I plan on using the new headphones at the office, I need decent isolation and as little bleed as possible, so most definitely closed back.

I've been looking at a few options, namely the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and the slightly-more-expensive beyerdynamic T51p. The M50s seem to have rave reviews across the board and are decently portable but still fairly large.

Which is why I looked at the T51p. They're on-ear as opposed to over-ear; more portable and more stylish. I've read a bunch of reviews saying the sound quality is amazing but there are a few reviews saying it is nothing special. At the price point $250-300 they should really be good, so those few reviews are a little concerning.

So my question is, which headphones will sound more like the DT770 80 ohm? Raised smooth punchy bass, slightly lowered mids and silky highs. Are the poor reviews on the T51p bogus? Is there another pair I haven't seen that might match that sound signature better? I'm looking in the $150-300 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back