looking for portable closed headphones
Jun 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 42
I'd actually go with the Sony MDR-1R which are praised as some as the best overall headphones you can get sub-200$ with great sound performance, portability and exceptional comfort. The UE6000 are very well regarded too, but, at the same price point, may have been supplanted by the MDR-1R, at least according to Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity : Logitech UE6000 ($199)
This headphone was retired from the Wall of Fame due to the Sennheiser Momentum [349$] coming out with a better sounding sealed headphone (the 6000 is a bit lacking in mid-to-upper treble), and the Sony MDR-1R arriving with roughly comparable sound quality, but better looks and ergonomics at the same price" http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #23 of 42
I do not like the ultrasones all that much either, but all I've listened so far have been the pro 550s. Different cans. Sure, the M50s are a very popular choice for entry-level audiophile cans, but I would not recommend them for rock/metal in particular.

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:
I do not like the ultrasones all that much either, but all I've listened so far have been the pro 550s. Different cans. Sure, the M50s are a very popular choice for entry-level audiophile cans, but I would not recommend them for rock/metal in particular.

feels like i can't win with either one of these...might have to look into something else ....tks for the opinion 

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #25 of 42
i think i'm going to stick to decide between my first 2 choices either the ATH-M50 or the ultrasone hfi-780...decisions...decisions....

I have both. Tough call. I definitely like the 780s for more bass heavy music. And the 780s have a more engaging sound because of the soundstage produced by SLogic. But I would probably lean more towards the M50s for rock and metal only.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #26 of 42
now another questions is if i choose either one of these what portable amp should i go with?? or do i need one in the first place ..plan to plug it into my iphone 4s...

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 42
ok..i've ruled out the M50's as i hear too many mixed reviews about these ..i've now thrown in the mix the [size=small]HD25-1 II...so i'm now wondering if the [/size][size=small]HD25-1 II are good for rock/ metal?? if if i spent the extra money for the [/size][size=small]HD25-1 II do i need an amp for those?? or do i stick with the [/size][size=small]ultrasone HiFi 780's w/o and amp??????[/size]

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:
ok..i've ruled out the M50's as i hear too many mixed reviews about these ..i've now thrown in the mix the [size=small]HD25-1 II...so i'm now wondering if the [/size][size=small]HD25-1 II are good for rock/ metal?? if if i spent the extra money for the [/size][size=small]HD25-1 II do i need an amp for those?? or do i stick with the [/size][size=small]ultrasone HiFi 780's w/o and amp??????[/size]

I think Jude himself recommended the HD25-1 II for pop/rock when compared to DT1350 in a Head-Fi tv thing. It should work fine, and is pretty comfortable as far as portable on-ear things go too.

Both of those were were also something I tested while choosing my headphones, and both were a bit too similar in bassiness to the Focals I already had. Otherwise I would've probably picked up one or the other. Again, this is coming from a treblehead that doesn't mind tearing his ears out with bright, aggressive sound.
tongue.gif
The HD25-1 II could work fine for you.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #30 of 42
most of the portable headphones are made with the intention of having it run well even without a amp. (although they may benefit from one) Senn HD/momentum, Beyer 1350 would definately be included in such senario

Users who are viewing this thread

Back