looking for portable closed headphones
Jun 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

jervid

New Head-Fier
need some help...this will be my first pair of headphones as i usually by in earphones ...looking for a portable pair as i'll be traveling on a plane next month and wanted something that other people around me won't have to listen to what i'm listening too...my main genre is rock, hard rock.metal..i was thinking between either the Audio Technica M50 or the Ultrasone HIfi 780's ...
any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ....

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 42
might be outside your price range but it might be worth looking into Beyerdynamic DT 1350, Sennheiser HD 25, and Audio tecnica ESW9. Although they're all great portable headphones with good isolation and great sound, i'm on the fence in terms of long term comfort for all three of them since they're all on ear. Although something like ATM 50 is a very safe choice with good bang for the buck the 3 phones i mentioned are better in terms of sound quality. (not to say atm50 is bad)

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:
might be outside your price range but it might be worth looking into Beyerdynamic DT 1350, Sennheiser HD 25, and Audio tecnica ESW9. Although they're all great portable headphones with good isolation and great sound, i'm on the fence in terms of long term comfort for all three of them since they're all on ear. Although something like ATM 50 is a very safe choice with good bang for the buck the 3 phones i mentioned are better in terms of sound quality. (not to say atm50 is bad)

these are great choices but a bit out of my price range...i was researching and saw great reviews about the HD25's ....i've heard mixed ratings about the ATM50's and was leaning towards the HIFI 780's but i hear that they are not good for being on your head for a long time ..and that the cord is really short...so i have mixed feeling on both....

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 42
Well if you see this soon enough there is a exceptionally good deal on a ESW9: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666281/fs-ft-ath-esw9a-recabled-and-huge-price-drop-these-need-to-go
http://www.head-fi.org/t/665754/audio-technica-ath-esw9-sovereign-wood-headphones-w-box-very-good-cond-smoke-free

ESW9 has pretty good bass and it has great sound isolation. The only possible con like i said before is that it is on ear phone. People are split on the aspects of comfort regarding these. (same story for dt1350 and hd25) But the sound is superb. 

Plus i think you can easily find deals under 200 on the headfi used forums for esw9 as well as hd25. not so much on the d1350 since they are pricier. I would also recommend sennheiser momentum in terms of better comfort amongst on ear portables but they're prolly totally outside your price range 

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 42
I searched for headphones with the very same function / music styles in mind for about a month. After about 10 different auditions I ended up choosing my headphones from between Beyerdynamic T5p, T70 and AKG K550/551. Got the K551 one. Just be wary that all of the choices I like are bright, and if you use a protective casing on your portable device you might need to use a file/knife to open the area around the headphone jack a bit in the K551's case.

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 42
I personally wouldn't go with the ESW9 for traveling.  It's somewhat fragile.  Also, I don't think it has the isolation of the other phones you mentioned.  The Senn HD25 would probably be the best from strictly the isolation/durability point of view.  They are my go to pair for traveling.  I don't have the HIFI 780's.  The M50 are very nice all-round, plenty durable, but more cumbersome especially since my pair have the looonng straight cord.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 42
the Senn HD25's would have been on of the original choices just out of my price range...tks for the tip on the ESW9's....if i get the M50's i believe they have a coiled version which is shorter the the long straight corded version....tks for the suggestions

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 42
that is true. ESW9 is pretty fragile. However i disagree on the bit on isolation. It does not leak much sound at all. Perhaps Hd25 or DT1350 does a better job but its not a problem where it would cause problems for people near by. But i also do think that hd25 would be most ideal for your tastes. I just threw out the esw9 cause there is a good bargain. Also i heard that they changed the atm50 in terms of sound not too long ago. (some sort of redesign) Not sure if its better or for worse but from what i hear they increased the price a bit cause of it. But it might be good to look into how they changed the sound sig.

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:
that is true. ESW9 is pretty fragile. However i disagree on the bit on isolation. It does not leak much sound at all. Perhaps Hd25 or DT1350 does a better job but its not a problem where it would cause problems for people near by. But i also do think that hd25 would be most ideal for your tastes. I just threw out the esw9 cause there is a good bargain. Also i heard that they changed the atm50 in terms of sound not too long ago. (some sort of redesign) Not sure if its better or for worse but from what i hear they increased the price a bit cause of it. But it might be good to look into how they changed the sound sig.

which model of the HD25's do you mean??? 

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:
that is true. ESW9 is pretty fragile. However i disagree on the bit on isolation. It does not leak much sound at all. ...

The problem with ESW9 isolation is not it leaking sound out, but for use on an airplane, I don't think it would block enough sound coming in.

I think any HD25 model is good if it's not the SP.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 42
My understanding is the HD25-SP is not in the same class as the HD-25-1, HD25-1 II or recent Amperior.  I think when most folks here talk about HD25, they mean the HD25-1 or now the HD25-1 II. I don't have anything against the SP.  Several years back when I bought my HD25-1 I was told here to make sure to get the HD25-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back