Looking for portable closed cans that sounds like open ones
Jan 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having tried a few closed cans and the only one that actually sounds closed to an opened one is SRH840. Classical music sounds pretty good on those, and they are usually closed cans' biggest weakness. While they sound amazing out of my amp, they also don't sound that bad out of my 3gs. The clamp of those phones are not that tight so they are relatively comfortable and cool, but they weight a lot more than the SRH440s so those might be a better choice for you as the above posters have mentioned. I use the 840 as my portable headphones for bus rides and never really had any problem with sleeping with them on while busing.

After looking more closely at the PX-200II and D1001k, I think I'm going to need something more durable than either. These new shures look very promising. Does the SRH440 fold and come with a coiled cable? They're $68 shipped on ebay, which sounds like a solid buy to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH-840 if you're willing to stretch your price limit by another $16

Where might one find a SRH840 for $116?
biggrin.gif

Edit: Nvm on the SRH 840s. For that price I think I would rather get ATH-m50s. So it's down to that for $100 and the SRH440s for $68, both on ebay. Guess I'm off to read the forums. I'll be using either unamped.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #18 of 18
Well I went with the Ath-M50s in the end. They just came in the mail and even without burn-in, they sound great. They're surprisingly similar to my 500+ hour HD555s, but with more bass. Very noticeable on songs with dragging bass lines, less so with drums. Sound stage, detail, and highs are all quite similar to the Sennheisers. Will report with more info after 50 hours of burn in. I'm very happy with my purchase. They're comfy too!

I did notice that I have to turn the volume up 10-20% compared to the HD555s, not a big issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back