Looking for portable alternatives
Mar 26, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

headialad

New Head-Fier
A couple of years ago I got the ER-6i and I am very happy with them. I mostly listen to jazz, classical or downtempo so I haven't really felt the missing bass people report. I recently started taking them to work, the library or cafes, but there are times when I get interrupted a lot and breaking the seal every 15-20mins is a bit of a nuisance - unfortunately asking people to talk louder is not an alternative
regular_smile .gif

Basically I am looking for a non-isolating alternative or something that it's easy and quick to take off and put back on. I've been looking at the lighter headphones and clip-ons mostly but I'm open to anything that doesn't leak too much outwards.

I should mention that I seem to have a problem with the earbuds that come with mp3 players and the like. I might be wearing them wrong but after 20mins of use my outer ears hurt. Will I have the same problem with the clip-on kind?

What would you suggest? I wouldn't want to spend more than what I've spent on the ERs.

I've searched the forums but I've mostly found really old posts about it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 6
PK3's for $39 seems like the PERFECT solution for you. Look at the appreciation thread and you will buy it today.
wink.gif

If you want clip ons, there are the Yuin G2As for $50 right now too. Either are divine choices.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 6
First of all thanks for the reply ChroniCali. The PK3 do look like a great bargain but I'm worried about the earbud design that looks pretty standard and with which I had problems as I mentioned.

To be honest I was looking at something like the Sennheiser OMX50/60 for the clip-on and the KOSS Portapro and the PX-100/200 from Sennheiser as a light portable alternative. I see me ending up with the Portapro or the PX-100 but thought to look for something smaller and discreet.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 6
KSC75, nao.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you want headband ones instead, then go for KTXpro1. Pretty much the same sound as Portapros (Same drivers), and has smaller profile.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 6
I was about to go for the koss but I am now considering the PTH which will allow me to continue using my ERs. Unfortunately it looks pretty clumsy. This thing has been around 3 years ... why neither shure nor anyone else has thought about improving the design is beyond me
confused_face(1).gif

I think I'm stuck between two bad (for different reasons) options but at least I have the whole weekend to figure it out
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the replies

h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back