Looking for Porta Corda MkIII-USB feedback
Sep 11, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 5
I've just had mine for a few days and am very happy with it. I can't compare it with other portable amps as the only thing else I had was the PC mkI. I find mk3 to have slightly cleaner and better sound and the low gain setting certainly helps with low impedance phones!

So far I've only used the USB dac to listen to TV on my computer and so can't give much of an accurate asessment but the sound was again very clear and resolving. Hope this helps

Edit: I've just been listening with HD-600, E500 and SR-80 via the Porta Corda. the overall impression is that the bass is driven with authority and the highs are clear but not shrill. Vocals sound very natural, be it a singular voice or a chorus. Many times, I find myself tapping my toes to the musc! It is recolving enough for me to hear the attack and decay of various instruments and of course distinguish between them. While it doesn't beat my prehead, it certainly makes me miss it less while on the move.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply. I did manage to find some reviews but it was for the MkII...I think from Plainsong on another forum -?? One problem that was mentioned was a slightly scratchy volume. Has this been resolved on the newest version?

I'll most likely be ordering one very soon.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Do you mean static when changing the volume? I put my E500s on and turned the volume repeatedly but couldn't detect any. As usual with such volume pots, there is a slight channel imbalance at the very low volume setting but at low gain, I'd have to be a bat listening at ridiculously low volumes to hear it
smily_headphones1.gif
. The situation is certainly much better than in the Mk1. Btw, if you use rechargeables, get the 9.6V ones. Available in both NiMH & lithium (v.v. tight fit cos of the larger size). Happy listening!

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by abeautifulife
Do you mean static when changing the volume?

Yes, that's what I meant. I do plan to buy some good NiMH 9 volts...right now I have a pair of low quality Energizer NiMH that I bought for use in my Micro. They only last about 4 hours but I imagine one would last atleast 20 hours in the Porta Corda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back