Looking for Pioneer SE-700 pad covers (something contemporary) that fit?
Feb 24, 2013 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Robinhawaii

New Head-Fier
I saw the great thread about restoring and making new pad covers for the SE-700. I was wondering if anyone has experience with finding a current production ear pad cover that in it's stock form, or with minimal mods, fits these classic Pioneer headphone. I would appreciate any input, and thank you in advance. 

Take care,

Rob

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 19
Hi David:

No I have been looking, but never did make a call. I wrote to Pioneer, but they have nothing in their records that would suggest a replacement.

I would be very interested in your findings. Thank you.

Take care,

Rob

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 19
Rob,

I have some insight on my SE700's that I shared in a comment here.  "Tak" did a fine job with the review. Now, for your ear pads.  I recently removed my original pads that had flattened out quite a bit.  I think some are under the impression that in new condition they are circumaural, i.e, encompass the ears. Actually, they are supra-aural--pressing on the ears. This made them a bit uncomfortable after a while.  When I peeled them off, I also noticed the pads had been blocking  many of the holes that deliver sound. That alone essentially changed everything about the sound of the headphones.  

So, when searching for new pads I was intent that they were truly circumaural.  If you've removed your original pads you will notice the "seat" is a tad recessed and is 3 ¼ inch diameter (82.55mm). 

The replacement pads are larger by a few mm but they are very comfy. They are Shure replacements for the SRH750 headphone. The challenge is applying the pads to the headphone. I suggest a double sided adhesive or glue dots/strips (available at Michaels). There's also the adhesive velcro product that I have not tried yet.

Last week I found another source on eBay and I expect them to be a much better fit for the SE700 as they are 80mm (31/8 inch) diameter. When I receive them, I can let you know how they work out. The seller was very helpful in suggesting a match. 

The price for either of these is about $15 or less shipped.  

Probably more info than you expected but hope it helps.  

David

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 19
Great information David. I have one question, how are the original pads held in place? On mine, it looks and feels like I was tearing the rubbery material backing, so I stopped and I never tried to remove them as the operating guide suggests.

Take care,

Rob

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 19
In my case, I just went for it.  It was apparent that some type of adhesive was used. After rubbing off the gunk with my finger, I cleaned any remaining glue with a little alcohol.  The surface of the headphone was then ready for the new pads.  The original pads definitely need to go in my opinion.  They do little for comfort and seem to actually hurt audio quality. Hopefully, your headphone components are in good shape. Combined with the new ear pads, they should sound great. How will you be driving these?

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 19
My pads are in great condition, no flaking or peeling, but my issues with them are just as you pointed out, that they are not the best pads for this application.

I drive them with a Woo WA6 or a Kenwood Supreme 600.

Thanks again,

Rob

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 19
Good morning, Rob. I can confirm that the pads you want to use are the SRH750 Shure replacements. The size is perfect as they are truly circumaural and do not muffle any of the ports on the headphone….very comfortable. The other (smaller) pads I ordered off eBay arrived last week from China. They are good quality and identical to the original pads in diameter, but thicker. However, they rest on the ear. Also, I found the adhesive velcro to be the best way to attach the pads.

Here's the link for the pics you requested.  I included a pic of the Pioneer JB-21 I used the past year for connecting the SE700's to my amp.  Last week it, sort of, burned up 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I guess I'll eventually get a Schiit Lyr and drive them from the preamp.

David

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 19
I have a Schiit Lyr - and 2 pairs of SE-700.  Not a good match, though I'm not sure why: the Pioneers are not loud - even at maximum volume and sound thin.  Perhaps because the Lyr can deliver a lot of current, but the Pioneers want lots of voltage (hence the recommended JB-21 to use a regular stereo amplifier's power.)  I love the Lyr with my current hungry ZMF Fostex T50RPs however!

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Glad to have some info on the Lyr + SE 700 before dropping the bucks for it.  The Magni actually does a good job driving mine, but figured the Lyr would do better. Absent the JB21, the headphone output on my Adcom preamp drives the SE 700 just as well as the Magni.  

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks David! I just ordered those pads you recommended from Amazon. My dad just gave me his headphones he bought in 1976. It is in prestige condition: http://instagram.com/p/w9LkzhAEDL/

I also did find them very low. I just bought a Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber. I hope these two will do the trick.

May 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 19
I have tried mine on my Schiit Magni (original) and it dose indeed drive them quite nice, but mine dose tend to create a bit of a balance issue. I currently use them with my fully Restored Optonica SM1616, and they sound very good on it. So do my Beyerdynamic T1's. I think i might just get a second pair of the SE700 to do the bad change. The one i have are more or less mint, pad wise anyway. The top leather is in bad condition sadly, but the rest is quite nice.

I find it quite fun having peaple ask what the headphone are, and when they try them they cant believe they are from the 70's. The same thing happened when i was a Thomann were i visited one of the headphone guys there. He could not believe they were from the 70's well. But we did find out that the 2 best headphone amps they had there could not drive the phones to a high listening level.

The are very nice headphones, if you like the sound they produce. Have fun changing yours...

It would be interesting to hear what difference the ear pads made on the SE700's sound.

Correction, i just cheked some images of the SE700 (original) and well my pads are not mint, at least not in terms of thickness, they are a bit squished in. Yet they seem to be further out then most others i have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back