Looking for phones with deep ear pockets (?)
Apr 3, 2005 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

aj2four0

New Head-Fier
I live in Peoria IL which is my first issue... there are no audio places that sell headphones within a 100 mile radius.

I currently own some 2 pairs of lo-fi sony phones :-D some mdr-d33's and mdr-nc20's. The d33's dont' touch my ears at all and are very very comfortable. I'm looking to buy a new pair of phones, but from the few people i've talked to, most say that even the circumaural phones touch the tips of their ears a little bit. I really like the feeling of having the headphones only contact my head, and was wondering which models have the deepest ear pockets.

I'm very interested in the akg271's on recommendation of a friend that lives in PA (i have no way of demoing his).

Full size is fine, i want them big. Something that doesnt' require a rediculous amp would be nice. I have a cmoy currently and might make a home amp soon. But i'm not going to be spending 200+ on an amp anytime soon. Thanks!

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 15
I haven't heard of anyone complaining about this before. Do you have gigantic ears or something? Anyway, senns are deeper than beyers (though not as wide); 880's touch the tips of my ears slightly, but I don't find it uncomfortable. Obviously, there's canalphones or the AKG 1000 which don't touch your ears at all.

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Pretty much any higher-end models by Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic will fit the bill. I own the K271, and my ears touch the foam that covers the driver housing, but that's about it, they're not exactly what I'd call uncomfortable (though the pleather pads do get a bit sweaty from time to time).

What's your budget and what kind of music do you enjoy listening to?

Apr 3, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 15
I think this kids just a damn freak with f*ing basketball for a head

eek.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 15
Senn HD-600's (and therefore the 580s/650s) are quite deep and don't touch my ears at all. Though they would benefit from a really nice amp, a cmoy will likely suffice. I use mine with a Go-Vibe if I'm taking them with me somewhere, and it's fine.

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm trying to keep the price tag around 150 or less. This will be my first pair of nice phones. I need them to be closed or semi closed. I'd like to be able to listen to them in the library while studying etc, and not bother other people. I dont' listen to my music very loud at all, but open phones might be an issue. I listen to a lot of electronic (prog/trance), all the way to folk rock stuff like virginia coalition. I do not listen to any classical, though i do like jazz now and then. :-D thanks for your help so far.

and my ears aren't f'n ginormous or something, they fit fine in the eggos and those are pretty small. I just hate contact because it makes me ears hot and i usually have my phones on for periods of 3+ hours at a time. So i'm just really worried about comfort.

Apr 4, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 15
Unfortunately, I do have pretty big ears, and I have been very pleased with the Beyer 770 (80 ohm version) - my ears barely touch. Closed, strong bass for your electronica, pretty comfy, easily driven.

I've heard people finding them at the Guitar Center stores for between $150 and $200.

Apr 4, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 15
I find the MDR-F1s to be the cmost comfortable headphone I have ever worn, and they fit your needs. Only issue is if they are the right sound for you (weak low end).

rob

Apr 4, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 15
floats?

Apr 4, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 15
You might consider canalphones. With foam tips, they are usually pretty comfy, and can be worn for hours without difficulty. They will not leak any sound, and will provide very decent performance for the dollar. The Etymotic ER-4P will perform very well with most electronic and acoustic music, and the Shure e3c is well suited to rock. Neither canalphone requires any amplification. The ER-4P will set you back $230, and the e3c can be had for $130, perhaps even less.

Apr 4, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by robk
I find the MDR-F1s to be the cmost comfortable headphone I have ever worn, and they fit your needs. Only issue is if they are the right sound for you (weak low end).

rob

Yeah they lack bass, but their mids/highs are smooth and have a pretty broad soundstage for the price.

Garrett

Apr 4, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yeah they lack bass, but their mids/highs are smooth and have a pretty broad soundstage for the price.

Garrett

I actually love my MDR-F1s for DVDs viewing. The soundstage is even more broadened with the SM3. In fact with the SM3 with bass boost, I think they are a fine sound for listening to music for my tastes, but I like my Etys too, so I am clearly not a bass head.

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back