Looking for phones with better bass than Ultrasone HFI-780's
Mar 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TouchOfEvil

Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of HFI-780's. I had read that they had very decent bass but i'm not really impressed thus far. I thought maybe i didn't have enough power so i ran them to a integrated amp and they get louder than i can listen but the bass ommph just doesn't seem to be there.
I'd say my Panasonic HJE900'S almost rival them in the bass department which doesn't seem right to me.
Any suggestions?

They need to have decent isolation as the kids/wife don't want to hear them too much....
I listen to just about everything when i'm at home which is where i'd be using them.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm not sure but from my experience with them this is atypical. The ones I tried out had loads of bass even running from my netbook. They are the bassiest phones I've heard. This is interesting, it's the first time I've heard this complaint usually it's quite the opposite.

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure but from my experience with them this is atypical. The ones I tried out had loads of bass even running from my netbook. They are the bassiest phones I've heard. This is interesting, it's the first time I've heard this complaint usually it's quite the opposite.

I tried them from my ipod,the computer and the integrated thus far and i just really am very unimpressed with them at this point. The high end is nice but it seems to over take the bass most of the time. If i do get the bass clos to what i would want they are reaching distortion or already there and thats just no good.
I bought these used with about 200 hours on them so they should be broken in...i don't know, just not doing it for me.

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 17
Do they have velour pad or some kind of mods?

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 17
In my opinion they are defenitely bassy enough :p
You should make sure that the earpads make a good seal around your ears, one tiny open space and a whole lot of the bass will get lost.

I see that they already have had over 200 hours of listening so this is rly strange, the bass is supposed to get even better after about 50-100 hours... and you get distortion you say? I seriously never got that with my phones...

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 17
They have not been modded in any way as of right now.
The pads seem to be making a decent seal. If i push down to make them seal harder/the driver is closer i do get more bass but as for just sitting there without added force they can't seal any better/harder.
Maybe my head is too small..... circumference is about 21inches...not a whole lot i can do about that though lol.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 17
Having owned a few Ultrasone's in my time, I have to say that they do all need some form of amping, even the portable Ultrasone's could do with a little amping. For bass depth and slam, nothing came close to my Grado SR325i headphones, with Sennheiser HD25 ear pads mod (two second ear pad switch over mod I should say).

I've got my SR60's with the same mod, and they might do the trick for you. O.K. it's not the last word in fidelity, but it's fun!

Seriously, (as he puts the foam pads back on his SR60's) I still think that the 780's aren't bad when it comes to bass. You could go to the DJ1 headphones (680/780 on steroids) they don't necessarily need an amp. That's the route I took, hfi450 - 680 - 780 and then DJ1's.

The only other suggestion with Ultrasone is the Pro series, 750's maybe, but that's a serious price hike, and the sound sig is more reserved than the metallic sounding HFI series. I don't know if the 2400 would be an improvement?

I'd look at the DJ pro headphones as well.

I tried a pair of Beyer DT990's and came away impressed with the overall sound, but bitterly disappointed by the bass extension.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stock D2000. If that doesn't give you enough bass, try strapping a subwoofer to each ear
tongue.gif

can't go open air though.
frown.gif

neermind i was thinking of the ATH not the denons......

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean better bass as more bass, you can try the pro-900 they have more bass.

Agreed, you should try the pro900, they have more bass than anything I' ve heard including the denon d7000 or all the other ultrasone I have tried.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 17
The HFI-780s are geared more towards the fun-factor of listening, the Pro-900s more analytical... with this in mind I would be very surprised if the 900s had more bass. Honestly even if there is a slight difference the headphones aren't your week link, you likely aren't feeding them sufficient juice.

I should add I own the 780s and they have more bass both in quality and depth compared to the Sony XB line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back