Looking for perfect headphones
Aug 3, 2004 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

crazy3670

New Head-Fier
I'll try to make this post as simple as I can. I need some headphones that meet the follow requirements, listed in order of importance...

1.Cost less than $50
2.Good directional sound (For gaming and to a lesser extent DVD's)
3.Acceptable for casual music listening
4.Microphone included or has microphone attachment (For teamspeak games)
5.Little sound leakage

The headphones I get will be used with my PC only and I will be living in a dorm, the main reason why I'm getting headphones in the first place.

Thanks for your time.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 9
there's no such thing..all sets that include microphones sound crappy for their price

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I use Plantronics Audio 90's when I need a microphone on the computer. They're not to bad sounding for music either. Definately not in the league of my other phones but inoffensive and relatively musical.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm no audiophile, what may sound terrible to most people on this forum, will go un-noticed by me, (I'm using onboard sound... for now) I guess I should of worded it "what sounds less bad for $50)

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 9
The Sennheiser PC150's will more or less fit the bill, but they aren't great for music, and there are much better separate headphones for positioning. I suppose you could try a clip to your shirt mic and use a Senn HD 280 Pro, but you're looking at upwards of $100 for the set as the 280's will cost you at least $60 but more likely around $70 and that's if you have good negotiation skills and a nearby guitar center.

Aug 3, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 9
I second the clipon mic call. I use a nasty $5 "multimedia" version that swings from the cord on my senns. By choosing the clip on it opens up all sorts of avenues for actual headphone choice. And headsets look rediculous in a single player environment!

Aug 3, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
If you search around you might be able to find the Sony V6 (NOT V600) for $50 which will satisify all your requirements except #4.

I second the recommendation of the V6. It is probably the best you can buy in your price range, and has good sound for the $. If you buy the sony V6, and then stay away from head-fi, they should satisfy you for a long time.

Whatever the case, if you get something without a built-in microphone, they will look less stupid and you can use them for more things, like portable listening or just plain listening when you don't need to use the mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back