Looking for PC Audio solution
Dec 5, 2003 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
I proclaim myself to be a Geek, but I know little about the best sounding PC audio setups. I want the best-sounding setup for my PC that money can buy up to $400 or $500.

I already have HD650s, the cardas cable, a maxed out home w/reference modules, and some dimarzio m-path RCA cables as well as a Kimber mini-RCA cable. All I am looking for is maximum sound quality for playing music of all genres, for about $400 to 500.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 32
Get an RME Digi96/8 PAD and then a power cord for the HOME and you'll be set (for now
tongue.gif
).

Dec 5, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 32
This sounds like a job for the RME Digi Pad 96/8; Do a search on it Geek and you'll find plenty of reading. IIRC it was compared favourably to the DCS Delius DAC.

Edit: Ian beat me to it
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 32
Your system is good enough (frankly, it's amazing!!) that you should think about perhaps getting a dedicated DAC. I'm sure the $275 sound card is awesome (haven't heard it though), but with the kind of components you have, they're worthy of something closer to the high-end. My vote goes to the Bel Canto DAC2 ($1200), but there's been a lot of buzz lately about the ACK! DAC ($500, I think) in the forums. Two different approaches (upsampling vs. filterless/non-oversampling), but both supposedly closer to the analog sound than more straightforward implementations.

Dec 5, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
How does this RME card compare to the Audiophile 24/96?

Not heard either, but the RME should be noticably better I should think.

Dec 5, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
Not heard either, but the RME should be noticably better I should think.

At the very least, it will definitely and unequivocally be measurably better...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 32
Since you have a $500 budget, I would suggest a RME 9632 soundcard. It's a level higher than the 96/8 PAD. And it's about $550.
Otherwise just get a PAD, a fast and quiet HD and you are all set.
Enjoy.

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 32
The RME card looks pretty darn interesting I must say. Sound cards can sound pretty good actually, I really like the way my M-Audio Sonica and M-Audio Revolution that I have sound. Recently I have owned a couple external DAC's (Cal Audio Sigma II and now the Ack! dAck!) and find them to be superior to the Sonica or Revo. The beauty is using the Revo and Sonica as a transport to getting the digital audio from the computer to an external DAC and I recommend you think along these lines as well. There are a lot of affordable ways to get digital output from your computer (Revo, Sonica, Audiophile 24/96, X-itel etc) and then you could look into new or used DAC's on Audiogon. There are some killer deals out there on used DAC's these days.

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
How does this RME card compare to the Audiophile 24/96?

It easily bests it even in digital out.

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 32
Ucck... the upgrading just never ends with digital
rolleyes.gif
. Can't count how often I've been glad that my turntable's there, the "just good sound" thing is so effortless and laid back in comparison... the overwhelming tendency is to buy lots of music and forget about the equipment. Upgrading is still a possibility if the mood strikes and the money's good, but it isn't disease-like the way digital can be.

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 32
While the RME cards are supposed to be great, a good external DAC is the way to go. I recently got the Benchmark DAC1 for my computer setup and am very happy with it. For the first time, my computer audio is as good as my main rig. Besides, an external DAC can be dropped into other systems instead of being permanently housed in your PC.

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Ucck... the upgrading just never ends with digital
rolleyes.gif
. Can't count how often I've been glad that my turntable's there, the "just good sound" thing is so effortless and laid back... the overwhelming tendency is to buy lots of music and forget about the equipment. Upgrading is still a possibility if the mood strikes and the money's good, but it isn't disease-like the way digital can be.

What exactly is the point of this post? What exactly does it have to do with Geek finding a decent PC audio solution? God, I tire of people trying to start crap all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Geek,

I don't have that much experience but it seems to me that you have two choices. Either go with a higher end soundcard or something like an M-Audio Revo + DAC. Scott Nixon TubeDac maybe? To me the M-Audio Revo + DAC is the more intriguing solution but that's just me.

Dec 5, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 32
How about RME + good external DAC? how do the RME cards perform on the digital out?

Would this be a worthwile upgrade compared to using the DAC with the audiophile USB for example?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back