Looking for pair of headphones to buy tomorrow, boxing day :)
Dec 25, 2006 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DefconZero

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a question. I want to buy a pair of headphones tomorrow (most likely from futureshop, or a store like it, since I can't buy online). Now I've been looking around at reviews and such, and my budget is going to be pretty much 100$ (CAD) tops. I found that I have been pointed towards either a good pair of sony's (MDR-V500) or some senn's (hd-477?). Seeing as you guys are really good at stuff like this, what would you suggest?

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd suggest that you hang onto the $100 and spend it wisely on the internet after thinking about your choice rather than blowing it tomorrow in a hurried decision based partly on what the shop has in stock.

Can't comment on your front-runners, I'm afraid, but I'm sure that there are people here who can give you all the information that you need, given time.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefconZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, new here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a question. I want to buy a pair of headphones tomorrow (most likely from futureshop, or a store like it, since I can't buy online). Now I've been looking around at reviews and such, and my budget is going to be pretty much 100$ (CAD) tops. I found that I have been pointed towards either a good pair of sony's (MDR-V500) or some senn's (hd-477?). Seeing as you guys are really good at stuff like this, what would you suggest?

What kind of music will you be listening to?

More than likely you will be needing something closed. AKG 81J or Senn HD 280 are not too bad a choice if you're shooting from the hip or rolling the dice on a good transportable closed phone.

For open, Koss Portapro's or their KSC clip on's wouldn't be bad. Sennheiser PX 100's aren't bad cheap one's either. Maybe even earbud's or IEM's, although I don't know of any good one's under $100.

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 16
Well music, will vary from heavy metal, to techno and deep bass, so yea. I also like my bass, so they have to be good in that division. Im looking for a set of over the head, either semi-open or closed. They also need to be able to be run without an extra amp, so thats a must.

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 16
The guys were right. Senn HD485 (or AKG K81 if you also need portability).

Dec 27, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 16
Alright, will take a look at those, since I kinda need some portability, and for them to run without extra amplification so, im guessing those are my best choices?

P.S. whats the best store in canada (online im guessing) is to get these?

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Alright, well, my parents seem to be in the no inline shopping mode, for the moment. Which means I need to know of a store that sells them in the vicinity of Quebec City, in Ottawa, or in Toronto. I've looked through the big official thread, but can't find any that aren't online.

If I can't, I'll try my best to get my mom to get'em online, but if not, are there any that would be possible to get in a store that are similar in price/quality, or should I really try my best to get these?

Thanks

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 16
Yes, even if you do manage to find a store that has the 'phones you want in stock, you will still most likely end up paying MSRP, which in some cases is quite ludicrous. NCIX is a reputable online canadian store, although shipping can be around $20 in some cases. Unfortunately they do not have the HD485s, and are charging MSRP in most cases.

Oh and stay far, far away from the HD477s. They are not worth $100 and like the rest of the HD4x7 range they clamp quite hard onto your ears (I had the 497s, which I would say could be stretched to $100, but my ears would be red after 30 minutes and I would feel pain in an hour). The $100 price range is interesting, in that unless you go online, you won't be getting much for your money at most major stores, especially in Canada. You will be confronted with overpriced cans from every brand, I lucked out with my 497s in that I got them for $77 at CompUSA when I was on holiday in the US. Look at the Koss KSC75 or the 35, buy a pair for much less than $100, and just wait it out. Also there is the senn PX100 available at FS for $80. Again overpriced, but in a pinch you should be quite pleased with them, and could try and ignore the premium.

There is Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto, which should have the entire Sennheiser range and maybe some Grados too. Looking up all the audio stores in the phone book may even result in a small dealer willing to order or give you a deal on old stock. I'm sure Quebec has its fair share of audiophiles
biggrin.gif

[edit] Sorry for my very random point-making
biggrin.gif
. I hope my post helps a little. Canada + headphones = not nice situation.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 16
buying online is probably your best bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back