Looking for over ear under $200
Aug 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Eigengrau

New Head-Fier
Let me preface this by saying that the search function has left me more confused than I was before I started my search. This is due to the amount of completely contradicting opinions I've seen over the same headphones. I mainly listen to death metal and similar or more aggressive genres. Bass palpability is important as well as transparency. I appreciate more bass than neutral so long as it is impactful and doesn't just roll off. Aggression is very important. I've narrowed down my search to these, though I welcome other options. 

DT770 250ohm
ATH WS99
Samson SR950
M-Audio Q40
ATH-M50 

I've read many opinons on the DT770 in particular, much of which however does not agree. I've heard them referred to as absurdly bass heavy by some and bass light by others. I have Wooduo 2s, so if it doesn't feel like being in a car with subs booming, it's not bass heavy. That said I'm looking for more of balance between mids and bass anyways. Another issue I've heard is that higher end audio is too revealing of production quality. I don't really understand this as metal, grindcore, etc isn't trying to sound super clean. Demos and underground stuff from the 90s are expected to sound a bit dirty. But then again the highest end stuff Ive listened through was Denon D1100s. Any help is appreciated. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 12
  Let me preface this by saying that the search function has left me more confused than I was before I started my search. This is due to the amount of completely contradicting opinions I've seen over the same headphones.

Welcome to opinions on the internet!

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the headphones above, so I'm no real help.  But I've found the above to be a universal truth on the internet.

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Can't see anyone saying the Beyerdynamic DT770 250-Ohm Pro is bass light.
(the DT770 Pro 80-ohm has slightly more bass then the 250-Ohm Pro)
The DT770 250-Ohm Premium might have slightly less bass, then the 250-Ohm Pro version.
The Beyers really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Higher end headphone reveal imperfections in poorly made mp3s (copies of the source, a source like an audio CD)
So "revealing" it not really to do with how the original recording was made.
You have to figure the audio engineer at the studio made sure the recording was "clean", before the CDs are manufactured.

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 12
Tyll @ InnerFidelity recommends Sony MDR-XB500.

I'd say 770 is not bass heavy at all. It's just its closed-back nature makes its bass sounds a bit more emphasized.

Plus, if you choose the 770 250 ohm version, you'd have to get an amplifier.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 12
I was looking for a similar set of headphone in the same price range. After some extensive research, I decided on buying the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm. But since I wanted something portable I ended up buying an IEM. Anyways, DT770 80 should work great for your preference. Adorama.com and Amazon sell it for $200. They usually sell like hot cakes on Amazon. They were out of stock for a while and was in stock for only a couple of days this week and now they are gone again. You can keep a watch out for 'em.

And another big reason why I would suggest the 770s is the comfort: From what I've read they are extremely comfortable. Some have claimed that they are almost as comfortable as the Sennheiser HD598. (HD598s are the most comfortable headphones hands down in that price range). 

The reason I am recommending the 80 over the 250 is that it is more practical. You need to have a dedicated amp to drive the 250s. But 80s can manage in case you run into a situation where you want to listen to that music on your friend's DAP that cant drive the 250.

Let me preface this by saying that the search function has left me more confused than I was before I started my search. This is due to the amount of completely contradicting opinions I've seen over the same headphones. 

I can't agree with you more. You need to trust your instincts and make the leap. Most sellers accept returns. So you wont end up with a set of cans that you don't like.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 12
X
  Tyll @ InnerFidelity recommends Sony MDR-XB500.

I'd say 770 is not bass heavy at all. It's just its closed-back nature makes its bass sounds a bit more emphasized.

Plus, if you choose the 770 250 ohm version, you'd have to get an amplifier.

XB700 is something I want but I dont think it really has the mid balance and they are discontinued, with the remainders at 3x their original price

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm not sure whether you want something bass-heavy or something balanced.

If you're trying to find something that's relatively balanced with a little bit more bass, and you don't own an amp, I don't think there's a better option than ATH-M50X in your price range.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 12
  I'm not sure whether you want something bass-heavy or something balanced.

If you're trying to find something that's relatively balanced with a little bit more bass, and you don't own an amp, I don't think there's a better option than ATH-M50X in your price range.

I want there to be more bass than neutral, but not too much to detract from the mids/crunch

Also Ive heard that the WS99 beat the M50s 

The reason I am recommending the 80 over the 250 is that it is more practical. You need to have a dedicated amp to drive the 250s. But 80s can manage in case you run into a situation where you want to listen to that music on your friend's DAP that cant drive the 250.

This reminds me, is a Schiit Fulla capable of powering the 250s enough?

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 12
  This reminds me, is a Schiit Fulla capable of powering the 250s enough?

Per the tech specs, it is capable of driving even 300 Ohms. But I will let other Head-Fiers answer that question, as my knowledge on AMP/DAC is limited.

Although, if it were me, I would go with either

Fiio E07k, E10 or E17k if you are looking for a DAC+Amp

or if you want just an amp, then

Fiio E11 or E12

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Hello,

I own the dt 770 32 ohm premium edition. The 770 line def has bass palpability. Good headphones for what your looking for. I too listen to death metal and I personally use the Japan Import audio tech a900x. Amazing isolation, solid bass, and clear treble. I would say it has less impact than the dt770 but only a little bit.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back