Looking for over ear studio monitors with detachable non-proprietary cable (up to around $150)
Mar 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nodyarg

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for over ear studio monitors, similiar to the KRK kns 6400's. I like the 6400's because ive read they are such unforgiving true studio monitors. I want cans with a detachable non-proprietary cable, because my cat chewed the cable on my m50s, (i threw them out a long time ago so i cant go back and fix them now). This time im not spending $150 on ear muffs, I want a detachable cable. I would go for the 6400's, but much like the m50x, or M-Audio q40, i have heard they have a proprietary cable, which means my options are limited for ordering a replacement or a custom cable if i want a cable with upgraded materials, coiled, etc. I know the manufacturer's like to keep cables proprietary because it's more money in their pockets for replacements and they can ensure "quality control", but I'm hoping there are other options. I dont want to mod non-detachables and void warranty. I have about $150 to spend, so is this possible in my price range?

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 11
The noisy cable was an issue for me on KNS8400. Although the protrusion that locks the cable is proprietary, I've read that several others will fit including K450, Q460, and M50x.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Yeah thats better than nothing, but those proprietary cables are highway robbery, and not always the best quality.

If only KRK had gotten it right, it wouldn't be so much of an issue. I've never had a problem with an AKG cable (except looks) so I'd choose one of theirs, probably K450. But ask first on the KRK thread.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 11
T50RP is under your price range, and uses a standard 3.5mm cable. As long as the plug housing isn't too big.

The termination at the earcup on the T50RP cable is a right angle, so it won't work with the KRK.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm assuming that the OP wants to spend $150 on a pair of headphones so that he can use his new headphones, not so that he can use the supplied cable with the KRK.

My T50RP came with a quarter inch termination. Did yours come with an eighth inch? (I'd been using an adapter, but am now getting a custom cable.)

I happen to like stock Fostex but it's not for everyone. If he wants to go the Fostex route, I'd recommend ZMF v1.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 11
My T50RP came with a quarter inch termination. Did yours come with an eighth inch? (I'd been using an adapter, but am now getting a custom cable.)
I happen to like stock Fostex but it's not for everyone. If he wants to go the Fostex route, I'd recommend ZMF v1.

All of them come with 1/4" as far as I know. I never did use the stock cable though, because practically any of the cables I had lying around worked fine.

The stock T50RP isn't as good as some of the mods, I agree, but there's nothing wrong with it at that price range (better than the ATH-M50).

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Not exactly "studio monitors" but the Audio Technica PRO700MK2, Philips Fidelio L1, and Beyerdynamic COP can all be had for around $150 and come with removable cables, all with standard 3.5mm on both ends. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 11
The stock T50RP isn't as good as some of the mods, I agree, but there's nothing wrong with it at that price range (better than the ATH-M50).

I certainly agree with you there. It's much more versatile. Just replace the pads with one of the Shures.

Having heard all the other planars except XC, it's still my favorite (though I did enjoy HE400 for jazz). So maybe OP should consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back