Looking for Over ear headphones for music, gaming and movies primarily for home use.
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Protest1993

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I am looking for headphones for music, gaming and eventually some movies to watch at the computer. I was using the Plantronics gamecom 780 headset, but they are quite uncomfortable to wear, because the pads are not big enough for my ears. (Althoug i think the sound of them is really good, because it has a built in soundcard. Compared to my brothers Razer Kraken they are far superior)
I was looking for a gaming headset in the first place, but after some research i found out that headphones with a mic is the much better solution (Probably the Zalman mic). Now i am looking for good all around over ear headphones. I have quite big ears, so i also need quite big pads. Comfort is one of my biggest criterias. I really want to wear them for long listening and gaming sessions without putting them off. 

Music Type: I am listening to all types of music but . I am a little more into rock, and acoustic music. Hiphop, rap, dubstep and electro not that much. Although i also want a decent bass on my phones, because of some tracks like "sail" of awolnation and for gaming purposes.

Budget: 160 € maximum for headphones and a soundcard

In terms of open or closed headphones, i dont have any preferences. I think a closed headphone would be better to not disturb anyone beside me. But if the sound of open headphones is much better then i would tent to open ones, because i am using this headphone at home for 99% of time anyway.

I am probably going with the asus xonar dg 5.1 soundcard because it is cheap and it has virtual 5.1 surround for gaming. 

Beside the soundcard i will not use any amplifier

I was in the store yesterday and tested the sennheiser hd 598 and i found them quite comfortable. My ears were not even touching the drivers or the earpads. Because of budget purposes i now tend to the hd 518 or hd558. But i read also very good things about the beyerdynamics dt 770 (80ohm) and dt 990. The 880 have the best ratings, but they are not in my budget anymore. And i am suspicious if the beyerdynamics have enough room for my ears, because they seem a little less "tall" than the oval sennheiser ones. Because i really want that nothing is touching my ears.

Ok sry for my bad english, but i hope someone can give me any suggestions for good headphones and eventually some feedback about my soundcard choice.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 7
AKG Q701's. Even though personally I didn't like their sound signature, I'm assuming they would suit your needs well. Keep in mind you need a good amp for them.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Many headphone manufacturers make headphones with a variety of cup designs. AKG Q701 ear cups are huge. Did you test them? However, they will likely be far out of your budget range. There is a AKG K612 on Amazon UK for £110.00 shipped. That's a great deal.

If you liked the HD598, you can do this simple mod to make the HD558s sound more like the 598.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Can someone of you give me some opinions on the cup size and the overall comfort of the beyerdynamics dt770 compared to the sennheiser hd558? As said i tested the sennheisers and they were big enough. I also read very good reviews on the beyerdynamics, but i am concerned if my ears fit completly into the buds of these.

I think i tested the akg 240 model in the store. I was very disappointed with the comfort. The sennheisers were much better. They didn`t even touch my ears.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 7
The Stock Akg K240 ear pads are uncomfortable indeed for larger ears because they are so shallow. The DT770 ear pads are around the same size but deeper and softer and made from velour.
Did you like the sound of the Akg K240 or did you listen to them?

I actually use the Shure SRH840 ear pads on my Akg K240 and the comfort is very good.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 7
I own a DT880 and i can confirm that the comfort is supreme (and so is the sound), however if you're ears are big they might tough the pads and driver. I have average sized ears and they slightly do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back