Looking for options for wireless bedroom headphone system (UPNP source)
Jan 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

drabina

Head-Fier
I couldn't find a better title and I am not even sure if this is a right sub-forum but here it goes:

I have a decent vintage stereo system in my living room. As source I have an extensive library of mp3 and FLAC files with an external DAC between my HTPC and stereo system. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with this system and its sound.

Now, what I would like to do is to be able to listen to my digital library (served over UPNP) in my bedroom thru a set of headphones. No speakers needed as it is going to be strictly a headphone listening station.

I was thinking about Raspberry Pi plus DAC plus headphone amp but that's three devices and space on my night table is small (also this solution does not have any WAF).

So what are my options here?

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 6
I think if you got a case for the Raspberry Pi, that would work as well as anything - I like the tech!
http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/07/playing-music-on-a-raspberry-pi-using-upnp-and-dlna-revisited/

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 6
The default audio port on Raspberry Pi has terrible sound quality for music. You need USB DAC. That's two boxes. Add an headphone amplifier and it is three boxes now. I am actually working on a setup like that after ordering cheap USB DAC from China. I am also building small headphone amplifier that can be powered by USB port. This should all fit in a case about three times the size of Raspberry and can be powered by one USB power adapter. I am just not sure what the sound quality is going to be. But I only spent about $50 so far so not a big investment ($35 was just Raspberry alone which I can use for something else if I do not like the outcome).

I was just curious if there are any other options like wireless streaming devices with good headphone output.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Tell your wife she should have known what she was getting into when she married someone that owned a soldering iron...

There are devices like this:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=us&ctn=NP1100/37

But they tend to be expensive for what you get, and I think they have mostly fallen out of favor and replaced with just using your notebook, tablet or phone.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the link. Few years back I used to have Roku Soundbridge and was happy with it but it was connected to the main stereo system. This new project will be strictly for headphone listening so I need fairly decent quality. I guess I will see how my RPi + DAC + amp turns out and take it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back