Looking for opinions re. a true end game single-disc CD player/DAC
Jul 17, 2015 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Andolink

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm strongly considering entering the market for a high-end CD player to replace my Audiolab 8200  which has malfunctioned intermittently pretty much as long as I've had it.  

Features I require:

High reliability and build quality
Balanced design topology w/ XLR outputs
Silent operating mechanism
Superbly detailed and highly realistic/natural sound
Full featured remote including track programmability

Feature that would be very nice:

Front panel display lights on/off (dim)

Features I don't need:

Computer audio features/outputs/inputs (I don't do computer audio at all and very likely never will)
Blue-ray, SACD and all other non-Redbook CD formats

I'm finding it extremely difficult in today's market  with the dominance of computer audio and Blue-ray and other formats to find a very high quality basic CD player for my admittedly very limited needs.  

I know that mostly likely (as I have had to do in the past), in order to get the features I require, I'll have to get a machine that has a lot more bells and whistles than I need.

My price range will go as high as $2,000 US.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 13
I am satisfied with my Marantz SA11S3.
USB DAC function has issue with Mac OS X Yosemite version due to OS's bugs. but optical in has no problem at all.
They are made in Japan. No build quality issue at all. Repair will be available for long term.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Yamaha makes some upper-end single-CD players that seem to fit your features but are outside your budget. Emotiva makes an <$500 one that's on 10%-off sale right now. And of course there are the Oppo players.

I haven't used any of them (yet), so I can't offer an opinion, just pointing them out as options.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 13
Maybe have a look at the Opera Consonance range?

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 13
The Opera Consonance product line looks very interesting (especially the Turandot MkII) but does not seem to have any distribution to the U.S. so is not available to me.

But thanks to everyone for the tips so far.

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 13
+1 for the Marantz SA11S3, maybe a used one can be grabbed up for 2k but they scarcely show up.
I was contemplating used TEAC/Esoteric or even EMM before getting a demo Marantz for 3k. You have different filter options to slightly tweak the sound. The built quality is the best you can get in this price range. What is a little annoying though, the loading mechanism is pretty slow to start and eject the disc. I guess this will have a positive effect on the lifespan of the drive but this is the only thing I can criticize about it.

As far as sound quality, I am done. The only issue I have now is too little time to just listen to music.
Highly detailed, lots of plankton but at the same time completely relaxing. The last aspect was the most surprising effect and something that I didn't expect before getting the final piece in this set up which was the headamp.
wink.gif

SA11S3 -> Anticable XLR -> GSX-Mk2 -> Norne Vanquish -> HD800

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 13
The Marantz SA11S3 certainly gets loads of favorable comments from users and reviewers.  

I'm not clear, however, about whether the XLR outputs reflect a true balanced design topology.  Anybody with info. on this?

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Two CD players that I've been looking at are the Cambridge Audio Azur 851c and the Arcam CDs27.  Anybody using these machines?  Opinions?

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 13
Further internet research on the Cambridge Audio Azur 851c and the Arcam CDs27 turned up various audio forum posts revealing serious reliability issues with both machines.   On one audio review page, the reviewer had to send back the first two of the CA 851c's shipped to him before getting one that worked properly.

This is really exasperating.  I myself went through 3 malfunctioning Emotiva CD players before getting my Audiolab 8200 which itself has had very annoying glitches from the get go (I've only stuck with it for so long because it sounds so amazing and has all the features I require and it does eventually-- sometimes after numerous repeated attempts-- play every CD I put into it).

Is there any reasonably priced audiophile quality CD player on the market that actually works as it's supposed to over the long run? 

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 13
I would consider a used Ayre CX-7eMP. They usually go for around $1600 - $1800 on Audiogon. The analog output stage is zero feedback and fully balanced.

http://ayre.com/cx7emp_specs.htm

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks yage.

Looks like an excellent machine with everything I'm looking for but buying used is scary to me (as many times as I've been burned) because of the lack of warranty or tech support.  

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 13
  Thanks yage.

Looks like an excellent machine with everything I'm looking for but buying used is scary to me (as many times as I've been burned) because of the lack of warranty or tech support.  

Quite reasonable given your experience. In a bid to offer some reassurance, I'll offer up two anecdotes. Ayre periodically offers updates to their products, such as the case of the QB-9 USB DAC which received an update for 24/192 playback and then DSD capability. The updates usually cost the retail price difference between old and new models regardless of whether the unit was bought new or used. This tells me that the company stands behind what they sell. I also bought a used Ayre C-5xeMP off Audiogon. I've had it for about two years now and it gets frequent use. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Good luck in your search!

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Looking over the owner's manual for the CX-7eMP I see there is no programmed play capability.  This is a feature I use constantly and must have. 

Oh well.  I was very tempted until I saw that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back