Looking for opinions on what to use as a source
Jan 18, 2017 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kingmajix

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for help on what to use as a source!

Current setup: I currently use a Fiio X5 via coaxial to a SImaudio Moon 230HAD DAC/amp.

Music: I've ripped my CD collection to FLAC and listen to that almost exclusively. I don't currently listen to any hi-res but may in the future.

If I'm purely using the digital out, would upgrading the Fiio help with sound quality at all? Are there other great options out there instead of using a portable player as a front end? I've looked into using a computer as source and/or a Raspberry Pi but they seems complicated. I'd prefer something simple and straightforward.

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 6
I really doubt replacing the source (X5) will offer any improvement in audio quality.

What headphones are you using?

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 6

If I'm purely using the digital out, would upgrading the Fiio help with sound quality at all?

Not really, it has to be a badly designed circuit or some kind of DSP feature reshaping the sound to make a digital transport sound drastically different. It kind of mattered with CD transports, ie a CD transport might sound better than a cheap DVD player, but that has more to do with speaker sound causing vibrations that interfere with the light, cheap video player that doesn't affect a heavy, audiophile CDP. With today's solid state memory you don't have any moving parts so there really is no need for any kind of mass loading or vibration dampening.

Are there other great options out there instead of using a portable player as a front end? I've looked into using a computer as source and/or a Raspberry Pi but they seems complicated. I'd prefer something simple and straightforward.

A music server. But you'd still need to set it up - at minimum you'll have to link it to your home network so you can use a remote app on a tablet, otherwise you'll end up having to navigate through a hard drive's worth of music using a front panel display that was designed for CDs. Having control via an app and adding network link (which also enables access to HDDs elsewhere in the house, or streaming services) is a lot cheaper than adding a large touchscreen on it. Not to mention you'd have it on you anyway like a remote, so no need to hook up a TV either.
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=NA7004

If you want one with minimal set-up but not using an antiquated display built into it, you have to pony up even more money.
http://www.myoliveone.com/

Basically if you ever wonder why people bother setting up Raspberry Pi or Minix Neo, you only have to look at the price tags on those links.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 6
  I really doubt replacing the source (X5) will offer any improvement in audio quality.

What headphones are you using?

Thanks. I'm using a LCD-X and Focal Elear.

Not really, it has to be a badly designed circuit or some kind of DSP feature reshaping the sound to make a digital transport sound drastically different. It kind of mattered with CD transports, ie a CD transport might sound better than a cheap DVD player, but that has more to do with speaker sound causing vibrations that interfere with the light, cheap video player that doesn't affect a heavy, audiophile CDP. With today's solid state memory you don't have any moving parts so there really is no need for any kind of mass loading or vibration dampening.

A music server. But you'd still need to set it up - at minimum you'll have to link it to your home network so you can use a remote app on a tablet, otherwise you'll end up having to navigate through a hard drive's worth of music using a front panel display that was designed for CDs. Having control via an app and adding network link (which also enables access to HDDs elsewhere in the house, or streaming services) is a lot cheaper than adding a large touchscreen on it. Not to mention you'd have it on you anyway like a remote, so no need to hook up a TV either.
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=NA7004

If you want one with minimal set-up but not using an antiquated display built into it, you have to pony up even more money.
http://www.myoliveone.com/

Basically if you ever wonder why people bother setting up Raspberry Pi or Minix Neo, you only have to look at the price tags on those links.

Thanks for the confirmation. I know some of the all-in-one servers can be pricey and the Pi and others can be done cheaply. For what I need, I think it's just too much hassle. The DAP is convenient for me and as a bonus I have a player I can take on the go, too.

So if the SQ should be the same, no real reason to change the Fiio other than features, UI, etc?

Oh and one other thing - some other players (AK, Questyle, Opus) have optical for the digital signal. Any reason to believe it would be better than the coax on the X5?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 6

Thanks for the confirmation. I know some of the all-in-one servers can be pricey and the Pi and others can be done cheaply. For what I need, I think it's just too much hassle. The DAP is convenient for me and as a bonus I have a player I can take on the go, too

I do that too except I used something I would still have even if I didn't need it for audio.

So if the SQ should be the same, no real reason to change the Fiio other than features, UI, etc?

None.

Oh and one other thing - some other players (AK, Questyle, Opus) have optical for the digital signal. Any reason to believe it would be better than the coax on the X5?

Not really. Use a 75ohm cable if you really want to be sure you're not affecting the sound in some way and there's nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back