Looking for opinions on IEMs. Thanks...
Apr 10, 2006 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

edwinaviles

New Head-Fier
Hi. Its been awhile since ive been on here.. but i need some advice.

I'm looking for a very good pair of IEM's for my creative zen mp3 player.
Im on the go now more than ever and don't listen to my home rig as much anymore. My first pair of monitors are the Sony MDR-EX71SL. Not bad. Comfortable. Decent mids. Muddy bass however. I like the mid range of the Sony's enough to have used them for months now. And I think I may want something with at least a good midrange like that for my replacement. Not sure.
Btw for reference, for my home rig I have a Sony SACD player hooked up to my Headroom Max via Cardas cables to my 600s. i love it. Never have to change anything about that. I know that sonic signature. I know I won't be able to reproduce anything like that on a portable setup but what can i do that's close enough??
I tried the Etymotics ER4S a few years back. Detail galore but too sterile for my tastes. Never tried the 6s or 6is, though Im curious. And I read up on Shure. I can buy a cheap pair of E2Cs or E3cs. I know I can get the E3cs for $106 at my job with the discount but I was thinking of getting the E4Cs for $157 if they EVER get them in, which is doubtful. So I pay the $180 elsewhere if possible. Now what I want to know, what do they sound like, especially directly compared to a portable, and considering my setups mentioned earlier what wuld you guys think I would like best in the IEM world? and no, the E5s and of course the soon to be released E500s are out of my price range. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to give.

Edwin Aviles

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 10
If you want good mids then I think the E4 is for you. I have both the ER-6i and the E4 and I stepped up to the E4 because I wanted something with good detail, but with stronger mids and a little more low end than the ER-6i was giving me. I'm really happy with the E4. The sf5 pro has been described by some on this forum as "fun." I got a chance to listen to them and they have a better soundstage than any IEM I've heard and have oomph in the bass department. However, I didn't think they were as balanced as the E4. My own earphone journey has taken me from the EX71 to the ER-6i to the E4. I wish I had "jumped" to the E4 from the start.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 10
The E4's mids and highs are superb. I think you would be very happy with the E4's given that the E500's are out of your price range.

However, having heard the E500's and the E4's I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY and let me stress HIGHLY recommend you simply save your money and get the E500's.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY and let me stress HIGHLY recommend you simply save your money and get the E500's.

Ha! Now that's a Head-Fier!

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I recently purchased the UE 5pro's to use with 4th gen iPod. I love them. I also tried the Ety 4P in the past (very analytical, amazing detail, bass-shy, uncomfortable to me), ER6i (not bad for the price, i still found ety ucomfortable IMO), and B&0. I made due with the A8's for a while strickly based on comfort. I am so glad i went for the UE's. Great detail top to bottom. VERY comfortable for my ears. I have never heard the E4's, apparantly, they are very similar to UE 5pro with slightly different sound signatures.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 10
oh believe you me guys. I read the reviews on the e500s. basically the best of the e4s clarity and e5s fun factor put together. tempting it is. very tempting. but at $500. more than i spent on my mp3 player. more than my 600s, even with the cardas cable. lol. my bank account will have a cow!!!
lol

Edd

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm totally in love with the E4c's. All I ever used before were stock buds and then E3c's. I am afraid to listen to the E500's, because I will probably buy them and $500 is a lot of coin for IEM's.

E4c's sound much better with a dedicated amp than without one, if that's a consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back