Looking for opinions on 600$ Closed back, over ear headphones
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chuck Canada

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking to treat myself to a new pair of cans, I currently use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 -600ohm cans and I love them, they have a great sound stage, decent mids and lows with some punch bass and with my setup they get quite bright which I like. But I am looking for a pair of closed back over ear headphones for some more bass rich music and movies and what not. Preferably 600 ohm or 250 in that range is good, but I really cant go under 250 ohm or my desktop amp would be useless and I like the sound it gives.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 10
Many of the cans people recommend in that price range are open. I have 2 closed headphones that I like that fall into that range, FAD Sonorous VI, and the Shure 1540. They are both really good sounding imo, and have threads here you back get lots of information about them from.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 10
(Mr Speakers AEON is a bit more, about $800, but is a closed back electrostatic headphone that had good buzz. I don't own them, but did hear them as part of a great system at CanJam, and thought it was a fine sounding set up).

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 10
(Mr Speakers AEON is a bit more, about $800, but is a closed back electrostatic headphone that had good buzz. I don't own them, but did hear them as part of a great system at CanJam, and thought it was a fine sounding set up).

Reiterating @doctorjazz , The AEONs sounded quite good at CanJam NYC (where I ordered my pair) and can still be had for the pre-release price of $700 https://mrspeakers.com/

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 10

Reiterating @doctorjazz
 , The AEONs sounded quite good at CanJam NYC (where I ordered my pair) and can still be had for the pre-release price of $700 https://mrspeakers.com/

And let me add... remarkably comfortable as well.

They are interestingly shaped and light, and they were comfortable, agreed.
The other 2 I mentioned are not quite as light or comfortable (though they are not bad. Comfort is a really individual thing, people RAVE about the comfort of the HE-1000, I don't find them all that comfortable). And the 2 I mentioned are definitely larger and Geekier looking if you will wear them outside (which I do, but I have no shame).

The only thing that keeps me from strongly recommending the AEON is that I don't own it or have extended experience with it, but it is being raved about. And, I really do like the other 2, and they fit more into the budget, I believe...

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 10
As always thanks so much guys for the replies I'm sure that with that info you guys have given I can pick out a pair now. 

I will of course do some more research and look up multiple reviews mostly here on on "Head-Fi'' but elsewhere as well and maybe make a new thread once I get them and have used them for a couple weeks.

Again, thanks.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 10
My bad... They are indeed planar headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back