Looking for Open over ear headphones - budget ~£600
Sep 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ya93sin

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a step up in quality from what I currently have, which is the over ear Sennheiser Momentum (orange version if that means anything). My current setup for listening is essentially a desktop PC which has foobar2000 installed along with the WASAPI output support. USB 3.0 outputs from the motherboard's rear I/O shield to a Schiit Modi DAC and Magni Amp, then on to the headphones or speakers.
Although I only recently bought it, I'd probably end up using the Surface Pro 3 a fair bit for music as well, especially at night.

The new headphones would be used in a small room with very little ambient noise - the PC's noise is under 30dB from half a metre away - so I was thinking that open-back headphones may be better for me for a few reasons beyond the different type of sound. As I'm in a dorm room there's no issue with sound leakage, in fact it's better if I can hear flatmates knocking on my door or something. Plus I tend to listen to music for quite long periods of time whilst studying, so I need something that remains supremely comfortable.

Beyond this, however, I'm not really sure what direction to head off in. I understand there are either dynamic or planar magnetic headphones at this kind of price level.
I tend to listen to hip hop, motown, house, trance, hyperdub, chillstep, drum and bass, sometimes even classical music. I certainly prefer the kind of headphones which have accurate bass and treble which isn't too bright as it sometimes hurts my ears.

So my priorities are:
1. High comfort
2. Very good build quality
3. Open back
4. Bass which is accurate
5. Treble which isn't too bright
6. Budget of ~£600

Can someone help?
regular_smile .gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 4
£600 is a bit of an awkward amount which puts you in between the flagship high-end cans and the lower rung.

You might consider the Sennheiser HD700 (a bit of a high-mid bump in these might be a pain) but perhaps you can drop down to the HD600 for around £300 new.

Or if you want to, look around for a cheap Beyerdynamic T1. They have the comfort and accuracy but aren't fatiguing in my experience.

From the genres you list, you might like planar magnetics like the HiFiMAN range.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 4
I second Steve's advice. T1 is the best option, but with a little more than your current budget. You could also pick up a used T1 and stay within the budget. Since you've already got a pair of (pretty good) Senns, choosing your second pair from the Beyerdynamic products (especially their flagship) would be really nice. Even Beyerdyinamic's older flagship, the DT 990, would be a thrilling listening experience for you (and a LOT cheaper), given your stated tastes in music. Switching between the Momentum and DT 990 is a delightfully wide sound experience. 

HD 600 is of course always a good option, but I have a feeling your preferred musical styles would suit DT 990 better.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 4
  Hi,

I'm looking for a step up in quality from what I currently have, which is the over ear Sennheiser Momentum (orange version if that means anything). My current setup for listening is essentially a desktop PC which has foobar2000 installed along with the WASAPI output support. USB 3.0 outputs from the motherboard's rear I/O shield to a Schiit Modi DAC and Magni Amp, then on to the headphones or speakers.
Although I only recently bought it, I'd probably end up using the Surface Pro 3 a fair bit for music as well, especially at night.

The new headphones would be used in a small room with very little ambient noise - the PC's noise is under 30dB from half a metre away - so I was thinking that open-back headphones may be better for me for a few reasons beyond the different type of sound. As I'm in a dorm room there's no issue with sound leakage, in fact it's better if I can hear flatmates knocking on my door or something. Plus I tend to listen to music for quite long periods of time whilst studying, so I need something that remains supremely comfortable.

Beyond this, however, I'm not really sure what direction to head off in. I understand there are either dynamic or planar magnetic headphones at this kind of price level.
I tend to listen to hip hop, motown, house, trance, hyperdub, chillstep, drum and bass, sometimes even classical music. I certainly prefer the kind of headphones which have accurate bass and treble which isn't too bright as it sometimes hurts my ears.

So my priorities are:
1. High comfort
2. Very good build quality
3. Open back
4. Bass which is accurate
5. Treble which isn't too bright
6. Budget of ~£600

Can someone help?
regular_smile .gif

Get a Sennheiser HD600 and save yourself £300-£400.

If you like the Momentum, it's like a hifi version of that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back