Looking for open or semi-open overear headphones for 100$
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrKommander

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys normaly i wouldn't need new headphones as i have some quite decent and like new, but while i was reading through several threads i realized that i haven't owend an open headphone. So i got curious how a pair would be like and how wide the soundstage could get and looked for some. It's not really hard to find some interesting pairs but i have in the next time a tight budget and so the field of possibilities got quiet narrowed. My criteria for a pair where a big soundstage, a soundsignature that should be acceptable for most musicdirections(as i hear nearly every kind of music 
biggrin.gif
) and they shouldn't be ugly as the night.

Here are some of the headphones i found interesting:
-Superlux HD681
-AKG K77
-AKG K99
-Sennheiser HD 518

Well i think thats it. I would apprechiate if somebody could give me some suggestion to those and/or alternatives.
It would be also good if the headphones could be modded for a better quality because i love crafting ^^
Thanks in advance :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Hello!

Both Takstar Hi-2050 and Pioneer Se-A1000 apply here.

Some find Pioneers ugly as the night, some don't.
Both are well built and offer a lot for the money.

Takstars are more unforgiving of poorly recorded material.

In terms of soundstage, Pioneers have bigger soundstage but a bit more diffuse, Takstars are more intimate but just a tad more precise.

Best Luck!

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Well i agree that the Pioneer aren't the most beautiful headphones in the world but if they are worth the money why not ? :D With the quality of the recorded material i'm not really worried because i use Foobar 2000 to rip my CDs to Flac-files. The question is will my music player drive the headphones at an acceptable volume mostly i use the Fiio X1 (can drive headphones from 16-300Ω)  and from time to time my Laptop.
I will definitely look into them thanks

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 10
  Well i agree that the Pioneer aren't the most beautiful headphones in the world but if they are worth the money why not ? :D With the quality of the recorded material i'm not really worried because i use Foobar 2000 to rip my CDs to Flac-files. The question is will my music player drive the headphones at an acceptable volume mostly i use the Fiio X1 (can drive headphones from 16-300Ω)  and from time to time my Laptop.
I will definitely look into them thanks

I was talking about recording quality, not file quality.

Poorly recorded and/or poorly mastered music, have plenty of flaws no matter how it's encoded.
On the other hand, a masterfully recorded song can be encoded as a 320Kbps .mp3 file and still sound amazing.

Some headphones, on the detailed/analytical side (Takstar Hi-2050, Beyerdynamic DT660/ DT880/DT990/Tesla T90/Tesla T1/Senns HD800/AKGs K70x, etc) tend to be quite unforgiving of poorly recorded music, this means that they could sound bright, cold, harsh or simply unengaging when paired with the wrong recordings.
These headphones really shine with well produced recordings.

Best Luck!

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Senn HD558 on sale $89.98

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B004FEEY9A

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 10
I was talking about recording quality, not file quality.

Poorly recorded and/or poorly mastered music, have plenty of flaws no matter how it's encoded.

On the other hand, a masterfully recorded song can be encoded as a 320Kbps .mp3 file and still sound amazing.

Some headphones, on the detailed/analytical side (Takstar Hi-2050, Beyerdynamic DT660/ DT880/DT990/Tesla T90/Tesla T1/Senns HD800/AKGs K70x, etc) tend to be quite unforgiving of poorly recorded music, this means that they could sound bright, cold, harsh or simply unengaging when paired with the wrong recordings.
These headphones really shine with well produced recordings.

Best Luck!

Oh sorry i missunderstood you ^^' hope anyway that my recordings are good :) but the headphones should be driven well with my Fiio X1 ?

The price is temting but unfortunately i'm living in europe so this discount will fall apart for me :')

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Oh sorry i missunderstood you ^^' hope anyway that my recordings are good
smily_headphones1.gif
but the headphones should be driven well with my Fiio X1 ?

Yes, you can drive them with a Fiio X1.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 10
I have to thank you all, the funny think is i will actually get another headhone because i have found a Sennheiser HD558 in a very good condition for around 50$ ^^

Nice pick!

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks i must admit i like them quite much :D especially the wide soundstage although i couldn't use it to the full potential because the owner lost the adapter from 6,3mm to 3,5mm so i had to use my slidly extremly used Sony system to bypass this problem and heared some statics which i haven't heared before with the X1 alone and other headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back