Looking for open, on-ear headphones recomendation
Aug 23, 2008 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

coast_cleaner

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I need a pair of headphones to use while joking. PX 100 has double sided cable, which I hate. I almost ordered Ultrasone HFI-G15, but a reviewer on CNET finds them not very comfortable. I've went over all sub $300 open models in this forum sticky, but could not find a suitable pair for me.
I don't have an amplifier and use a Sansa Clip. Listening mostly to classical music and audio books. I'll prefer something under $100, but can pay more.

TIA

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 5
Joking? Jogging?

By "double sided cable" do you mean they have cables on each side? Most headband cans do, don't they? The PX100s really are your best bet with all your other criteria though (with the exception of your music choice, probably. Not that they suck with them, but they're not PX100s speciality.)

Would you want neckband ones? PMX100, perhaps? Koss KSC75 even better if you can do clip-ons.

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 5
The Ultrasones (HFI-G15) have a full metal headband which can be adjusted to your liking. When I got mine (B-Stock), wearing them for over ten minutes is akin to putting your head in a vise and these cans only weigh 3 oz!!!. The headband pressure is 5,2N and therefore you have to bend that headband for any kind of a comfortable fit. I also found that foam replacement cushions from Radio Shack help (the 68mm size).

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 5
I did a test with some headphones both jogging and "joking" around the office. The clip-ons did not stay on very well while jogging around but it was no problem joking as I just stood there. The ear canal phones and street style(behind the neck) worked the best for jogging and you want on-ear so here are some choices under $100:

•Sennheiser PMX100, PMX200
•iGrado
•Koss Sporta Pro
•Ultrasone iCans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back