Looking for open headphones under $200
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yrrnn

New Head-Fier
I currently have some ATH-M50's and a Logitech G35 headset, for music and gaming on my PC respectively, and I am looking to replace both of these with a pair of decent open cans. They will be used for music(mainly alt rock plus a bit of everything else), and gaming with virtual surround. I have been looking at Mad Lust Envy's guide and that has been very helpful, and I have seen a few different options recommended here on the forums, such as the AD700, FA-011, SR80i, and HD598(this one is probably a bit out of my price range). At first the AD700 seemed appealing but I have read that they are lacking a bit in the bass department, and I would like to have something fairly even and neutral sounding if possible, though I'm guessing a little bit of colour is probably unavoidable at this price range.

Currently they would just be plugged straight into my sound card(X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E), but I'm considering getting something like the Fiio E10 to power them eventually.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm sure there are plenty of other models that I haven't heard of yet.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I currently have some ATH-M50's and a Logitech G35 headset, for music and gaming on my PC respectively, and I am looking to replace both of these with a pair of decent open cans. They will be used for music(mainly alt rock plus a bit of everything else), and gaming with virtual surround. I have been looking at Mad Lust Envy's guide and that has been very helpful, and I have seen a few different options recommended here on the forums, such as the AD700, FA-011, SR80i, and HD598(this one is probably a bit out of my price range). At first the AD700 seemed appealing but I have read that they are lacking a bit in the bass department, and I would like to have something fairly even and neutral sounding if possible, though I'm guessing a little bit of colour is probably unavoidable at this price range.

Currently they would just be plugged straight into my sound card(X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-E), but I'm considering getting something like the Fiio E10 to power them eventually.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm sure there are plenty of other models that I haven't heard of yet.

If you can't get a HD 598, you get a HD 558. 

- a wise turtle 

AD700 is just as good as the the others in terms of competitve gaming (hearing footsteps) but for sheer enjoyment...  They're "okay" with music but like you said, these are really lacking in bass. Someone who upgraded their AD700 thought the 598s had too much bass. Rofl. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Search the For Sale section, or eBay, and find yourself a pair of used AKG Q701's. Their soundstage completely blows away the AD700 in all respects. Also, they have a much tighter bass than the AD700 (The bass on the AD700 is almost non-existent.) Or, spend 40 over and get yourself a new pair on Amazon. You WILL need a good amp or a good sound card while running them off of a computer. (Yours seems fine.) But for competitive gaming, these are a must have. Hope this helps you in some way!

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Search the For Sale section, or eBay, and find yourself a pair of used AKG Q701's. Their soundstage completely blows away the AD700 in all respects. Also, they have a much tighter bass than the AD700 (The bass on the AD700 is almost non-existent.) Or, spend 40 over and get yourself a new pair on Amazon. You WILL need a good amp or a good sound card while running them off of a computer. (Yours seems fine.) But for competitive gaming, these are a must have. Hope this helps you in some way!

I have not tested these headphones for gaming but the Q701 will hardly be better than the AD700 when it comes to positional accuracy. Hardly. In fact, for music, the AD700 has more height to its imaging and far better depth as well. I don't really see how the Q701 could be better for gaming, and if it is, whether it's worth that extra price gap AND an amp to boot. You might as well go for the HD 558/598, both of which do not require an amp. And having done a direct comparison between the two (598/ 701) , there is no doubt in my mind that the HD598 - and by extension, the 558 - are not only more objectively accurate but more enjoyable headphones for music. 

TC, every headphone is colored to some degree unless we're talking about orthodynamics o.O Speakers in general sound better to people when it's neutral, according to research. With headphones, that's a different story altogether. Although what kind of games do you play? I would only get the AD700 if you mainly play FPS for positional accuracy. Otherwise, the HD558 is much more well rounded since it has more bass an d a soundstage comparable to the 598. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back