Looking for open headphone under/around 100$
Oct 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hi
I have E10k and Brainwavz HM5.
Changed my criteria over last few days and now I kinda know what I want 
redface.gif

Dunno if something like that even exists tho.
I own HM5 (could be bassier/darker but love detail and sound floor) but after a year of owning it, I can still barely use it.
I kinda got used to extreme clamping force but the main problem is heat. I just cant wear it any longer than 30-60 minutes without a rest. It's like clamping microwave on my head... My head hurts and I almost get teary eyes. Feels like that headphone could kill a man :p No I kinda regret selling CAL but it headband was too small and top of my head hurted...

I need something to rest, relax and not worry about comfort. At the same time I prefer warmer/bassier headphones (not basshead) without piercing top (which Hm5 sometimes presents).

The problem is that I don't care for velour pads. They get dirty very quickly and itches... so what do I do ?

I've asked around in few topics around forum already. People recommend takstar pro80 (Which I guess would be just as head frying), koss portapro, hi2050, hd631, 668, Yamaha HPH-200, Pioneer SE-A1000, grado etc.
edit: Just a thought - maybe something on ear wouldnt make my ears so hot ? but I guess then my ears would got numb...

Thanks !

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing, shape and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.  There is no substitute for this--especially when considering headphones within your current price range.

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 12
I know its a personal th
  Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing, shape and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.  There is no substitute for this--especially when considering headphones within your current price range.

I know its a personal thing. And it's even difficult to pinpoint what I like myself... last year I craved for closed well isolating headphone. Thats why I got hm5. Maybe I should use different pads with it ?.. But even CAL was making my head.ears hot so I guess I should look in open or on ear... or some light over ear.

And thats why this year I want something light, open and relaxing. Something to not bother about on head and forget about it. Immersive lets say.

Nobody can pinpoint exactly what other people could like. But general recommendations would be very welcome :)
Portapro looks interesting but it doesnt seem like something for home use. And seems very fragile. hi2050 is said to have unbalance problems and I don't know how I feel about chineese brands yet. Stuff like senns 558 is on expensive side. I don't remember how it sounds when I tried it in the store but I do remember that the fit was pretty weird... Like if they were not profiled for human head.

@TylerSC
SE-A1000 looks super interesting and have very very dipolar opinions. Some love it while others like innerfidelity say it sounds like garbage and show it as example of bad eq. It does look like something more/less in my ballpark tho.

edit: Between Grado SR60 and portapro, which one is better ? Sill not sure if I want over ear but sr60 got my attention... just asking

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 12
  I know its a personal th

I know its a personal thing. And it's even difficult to pinpoint what I like myself... last year I craved for closed well isolating headphone. Thats why I got hm5. Maybe I should use different pads with it ?.. But even CAL was making my head.ears hot so I guess I should look in open or on ear... or some light over ear.

And thats why this year I want something light, open and relaxing. Something to not bother about on head and forget about it. Immersive lets say.

Nobody can pinpoint exactly what other people could like. But general recommendations would be very welcome :)
Portapro looks interesting but it doesnt seem like something for home use. And seems very fragile. hi2050 is said to have unbalance problems and I don't know how I feel about chineese brands yet. Stuff like senns 558 is on expensive side. I don't remember how it sounds when I tried it in the store but I do remember that the fit was pretty weird... Like if they were not profiled for human head.

@TylerSC
SE-A1000 looks super interesting and have very very dipolar opinions. Some love it while others like innerfidelity say it sounds like garbage and show it as example of bad eq. It does look like something more/less in my ballpark tho.

edit: Between Grado SR60 and portapro, which one is better ? Sill not sure if I want over ear but sr60 got my attention... just asking

The Portapro, with its bear metal headband and paper thin ear cushions, is a thinly disguised torture device.  The Grado is better but has a high complaint rate for being uncomfortable.

On the other hand the HD 558, which you did not like, is generally considered to a comfortable headphone for most.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 12

The Portapro, with its bear metal headband and paper thin ear cushions, is a thinly disguised torture device.  The Grado is better but has a high complaint rate for being uncomfortable.

On the other hand the HD 558, which you did not like, is generally considered to a comfortable headphone for most.

Thats super difficult thing. The comfort that is.
And it DOES look like a torture device. I've not tried it but everyone loves it highlt. That's why I am surprised and intriguied.

As for 558. I've tried a pair in market. Maybe it war worn out ? I remember it being super flimsy

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 12

The problem is that I don't care for velour pads. They get dirty very quickly and itches... so what do I do ?

I don't think the 558 is what you're looking for.

Pleathers make you hot, and you don't like velours.  There's not a whole lot of choices left other than on-ear headphones.  Or maybe get some huge velour pads that don't touch your ears.  They'd still touch your head, but I assume touching your ears is the worst part.  Or pleathers with a very light clamp.  I don't know how something like the Pro 80 is supposed to help other than its pads are more on-ear than the HM5's are.

Hmm, with some of the complaints about lack of clamp on the AKG K550-553, and my personal criticism of it that the pleather pads are overly squishy and don't isolate as good as something like the HM5, maybe you'd like the K550-553 and its stock pads.  Or maybe it will at least give you some more ideas.

Sennheiser 4xx series also have a pretty light clamp, and are lightweight.  Maybe something like that would work.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 12

I don't think the 558 is what you're looking for.

Pleathers make you hot, and you don't like velours.  There's not a whole lot of choices left other than on-ear headphones.  Or maybe get some huge velour pads that don't touch your ears.  They'd still touch your head, but I assume touching your ears is the worst part.  Or pleathers with a very light clamp.  I don't know how something like the Pro 80 is supposed to help other than its pads are more on-ear than the HM5's are.

Hmm, with some of the complaints about lack of clamp on the AKG K550-553, and my personal criticism of it that the pleather pads are overly squishy and don't isolate as good as something like the HM5, maybe you'd like the K550-553 and its stock pads.  Or maybe it will at least give you some more ideas.

Sennheiser 4xx series also have a pretty light clamp, and are lightweight.  Maybe something like that would work.

I never was too keen on senns. edit: Just noticed Your update. HM5 does not touch my ears. its the whole side of the head under a headphone that just gets pressurized.
As for senns 4XX series. What are the more respectable models? What is a difference from 5xx series ? And yes, I agree. pro80 would not help if it's clamping like HM5 or even close to it.
end of edit...............

I do could order velour HM5 pads but don't think it would help much since I guess it's the memory foam inside it thats not letting air through.
For many many years I always had closed headphones and I loved them for isolation, comfort and immersion... Now with hm5, One among best of closed ehadphones I am not really too happy... man... I am now realising that I always had this problem in some way. Thats jsut how closed well isolating headphones do. and fake leather.

AKG is not a bad option but as far as I understand those headphones are very bright and no fun at all ? And K550 is over my price point... That doesn't mean I couldnt wait with buying it if it was worth it. HM5 was not the cheapstick either.... And I won't even sell it. Not many in Poland know that brand and even less would buy used(barely) headphone.

What I like about AKG is the style and it being a tank. Not removable cable and no replacable earpads are not ideal tho.

Please keep in mind that I love to play games and take it in, immerse myself and when the time comes feel the action. Same with movies. HM5 surely allows immersion but for hour or less. Then Your brain gets NUMB !
Btw. When I was buying HM5 I did needed isolation. now it's not a problem. My sister has moved out. Now to think of it, I never wanted open or on-ear because I did not wanted to disturb anyone or be disturbed. Now I don't need to care about this. It will be even better next year - I bought a small 45m2 apartment and once they finish building it, I will live there alone with my gf :)
Thats also why I can't spend much money on "silly" stuff as new headphone...

edit2:
HD219, 229, 239 look interesting. And I can already see the pads feeling off.
Also checked senns 4xx - seems like they are closed. Not that it's automaticly eliminates them

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 12
4xx are closed but a rather big soundstage for closed.  Part of that bigness is due to the mids being recessed somewhat, but even if they are EQ'd up, it's still a big soundstage for closed, or even for some opens.  You'd have to search for comparison threads to read about the model differences because that's a lot of typing.  They're all kind of similar.

A big selling point to me on the HM5 and clones is the isolation.  That's a criticism I have of various other closed-backs, including the 4xx.  The 4xx has thin cups, and sound leaks through them.  Not as bad as a typical semi-open, but it doesn't have that isolation black hole an HM5 does.

K553 is neutral-ish.  Sounds fun enough to me.  I haven't worn my HM5 clone in a while, but memory says they're more fun than the HM5 is.  Probably have a bigger soundstage too.  

Yes, K553 looks great and is like a tank.  Very impressive build quality compared to a lot of stuff.  The earpads are replaceable.  

HM5 wouldn't be my first choice for "immersion" to "feel the action."  They're neutral and grainy.  I like them quite a bit, but I modded them to get rid of some of the "analyticalness" and make them more enjoyable for everyday listening. 

HM5 are easy to change pads on, and a common size, so maybe searching for a pad replacement is the best (and cheapest) way to go.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 12
I think I will do this.
I keep HM5 in case I need isolation (or for winter time)

and will look into getting something onear as daily driver. It should actually be easier to achieve good isolation etc with on ear. and my ears could stil breath. not to mention most over ear pleather pads just stick to the skin (I have short hair)
Skullcandy navigator, xb450ap, mdr-10r, senn 219, 229. Plenty more. Bower and wilkins look just fantastic but I don't like the price. I think it would be a good combo.

Any experience with on ear stuff ?
That's still just a thought. Non tiring over ear headphones like akg, senn 4xx or open ehadphones, I am still looking into :)

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 12

Any experience with on ear stuff ?
That's still just a thought. Non tiring over ear headphones like akg, senn 4xx or open ehadphones, I am still looking into :)

Limited on-ear stuff since for truly portable I'm more likely to use IEMs.  I greatly enjoy my Brainwavz HM3, but if you're looking for comfort, you should probably keep looking.  

Well, it's easy to make them more comfortable since any pad is more comfortable than the ones they come with, but, so far, overdoing it on the comfort can take away that special something in the sound they have to my ears.  Certain other pads don't give up their specialness too much, but the sound with the stock pads is still better.  

Maybe the firm stock pads keep the sound from bloating.  I try to put HM5 pads on them, but they sound boomy and terrible then.  Maybe just from a bad seal.  I wish I could figure out a bigger, more comfortable pad for them that keeps the stock sound.

I'd avoid closed if you don't need the isolation.  If you can find a closed that would work, there's likely an open that would work too.  Then again, sometimes I wear the HM3 when I don't need isolation, so I am contradicting the sentence I just wrote.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 12
One note. Even tho I am thinking about getting on-ear headphones, portability is not it's destination. They will still be used inhome, in fornt of my desktop or around the house.
I just want to go onear, for better comfort than overear.. and for the pure convinience. edit: I kinda like the pillow design on ears. You know - without the hole.. which dont make any sense because Your ear wouldnt go in it anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back