Looking for Open cans ~$100-150
Aug 17, 2007 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

pow3rtr1p

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of closed headphones (ATH-A900s) I have been doing some research, and have come to the conclusion that I should get some open cans for better audio quality. I plan on having them custom wired in pure silver, so the drivers need to be pretty good quality. I don't have an amp right now, but one is certainly an option in the future. I'm really just getting into this whole audiophile thing, so I'm a bit in the dark right now about what's right for me and what I need.

I listen to a lot of stuff, from Death Metal to Techno to Acoustic Indie stuff. I realize that real punchy bass can be hard to come by with open cans, but I was hoping to get some. I want bass that can have power for slower techno stuff, but can still keep up with blast beats and the like without becoming muddled. I know this may be a lot to ask from open cans in this price range, but perhaps you guys have some secret you can let me in on...

Hope to become an active member of this forum. Been a bit of a lurker for a while now, and hope to start contributing very soon.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 24
HD600s. Yeah. HD600s. No, no kidding; HD600s.
As I analyze your needs, do tell what sort of source the A900s are powered from?

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600s. Yeah. HD600s. No, no kidding; HD600s.
As I analyze your needs, do tell what sort of source the A900s are powered from?

I think the HD600 is out of his price range. IIRC, Used they usually go for $170-$200.

Since youre going to get an amp, HD580 gets my vote. Maybe a used DT990, 2003 model too.

IMHO the 2003 DT770-80 is also something you might want to consider. It has very good soundstage for a closed can.

The SR225 used is also worth considering, with TTVJ flats its very bassy IMHO.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 24
I really just had my closed cans, and had heard open cans can be better, more open sounding, and more comfortable.

I'm really mainly looking to expand my collection, preferably with something from a company other than Audiotechnica, to help develop my ear. I want to hear more of what's out there, without breaking the bank, so that I know what I like and don't like about all different kinds of headphones, and I can not only find the perfect pair for me, but some day help find the perfect pair for someone else.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 24
I would take a look at the SR-80s or SR-225s. They don't have as much bass as the A900s, but they do have some nice kick and that openness you're searching for. They can also be run ampless. Lots of metal freaks love Grados.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 24
one more thing...

Don't bother with a recable, put that $$$ into a source upgrade first.

Actually IMHO amp/sources go hand in hand. An amp upgrade is only marginal, if your source is not revealing enough detail and vise-versa.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 24
Grado headphones, and add TTVJ flat pads for moments you want more bass and less highs. Aggressive and fast sound with stock bowl pads, superb clarity too, excellent for metal.

Downsize of Grados (with stock bowl pads that is) is that bass lacks depth if songs you listen are recorded thinly. Luckily most deathmetal acts are quite bass-happy already. Grados also respond EQing really well, some dont be afraid to boost some low frequencies when needed.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 24
So wait, are you saying the my sound card isn't good enough? I just bought this because I thought it was one of the best I could get without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So wait, are you saying the my sound card isn't good enough? I just bought this because I thought it was one of the best I could get without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

Strange... your signature does not show up on your original post. I made my comments above without knowing your source, and assuming you were just using an entry level MP3 player of some kind.

As to your question, I'll defer comment to some of the more experienced "PC as source members".

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 24
oops, I forgot that this was the between 100-150 thread as opposed to the 100-200 thread...my goodness! erm, my fault. You can't enjoy HD600s in that price range!

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really just had my closed cans, and had heard open cans can be better, more open sounding, and more comfortable.

I'm really mainly looking to expand my collection, preferably with something from a company other than Audiotechnica, to help develop my ear. I want to hear more of what's out there, without breaking the bank, so that I know what I like and don't like about all different kinds of headphones, and I can not only find the perfect pair for me, but some day help find the perfect pair for someone else.

No problem then. For open cans between $100 and $150, I recommend:

New: HD555

Used: HD595

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem then. For open cans between $100 and $150, I recommend:

New: HD555

Used: HD595

...and absolutely horrible for deathmetal... Dont know about techno though.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and absolutely horrible for deathmetal... Dont know about techno though.

I don't consider the HD555 and HD595 good choices for the type of music the OP listens to either. And so this is why I posted the following earlier in this thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMO for what you're wanting, you'd be making a mistake by limiting yourself to this price range and to open cans.

However, if you read the OP's latest post, you'll see he changed his priorities, and so my recommendations for the HD555 and HD595 are on target. It's no longer relevant that these Senns are not top picks for the music he listens to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back