Looking for open back headphones ~ $150
Sep 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AdmiralAkmir

New Head-Fier
I've used closed headphones for a while now, first HARX-700, then DT770 pro 80. I would like to switch to open heaphones, below is information and criteria.

1) Music: Electronica ( DnB, ambient mostly) Metal, and classical

2) Good build quality. I've seen a lot of expensive headphones that just seem to be made of cheap plastic. No. I've always been frightened of anything Senheiser for this reason, something about the design / build just doesn't sit well with me.

3) over ear, I don't want on ear

4) replaceable ear pads is a must

5) detachable cable is cool, basically I want to safeguard against damage and wear, the cable and the ear pads are the biggest culprit, so I feel safer with both being replaceable

6) low / no risk of the dreaded buzz. I had read about this with the DT770's, thought it wouldn't happen to me, it did, and it's annoying. I can usually fix it by looking for debris, but it comes back eventually, and sometimes it's not easy to find the cause. I would prefer a pair of cans that is not susceptible to this.

7) source: O2+Odac is what I have, so amping is not a problem.

I almost thought about the DT990, but I don't want the risk of the dreaded buzz, and I heard they can be harsh. AKG K7xx looks nice, I like the style, but I can't find them for less than $250, and I'm just not going to spend that much. I had the Fidelio X1 and sent them back, didn't like the fact that ear pads were not replaceable and they just didn't seem that great to me. I probably wouldn't want to spend much more than $150

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 2
Fidelio X2 and DT990 would certainly be on my list, but I understand they aren't going to work for everyone.
I've never had buzzing on my DT990s... and I wonder if this was not a problem years ago when i bought mine???

Possibly, planar magnetic 'phones might be the right thing.  Terrific bass texture on these things, but you'd probably be looking at something used, not new,  in this price range.  Maybe, take a look at some of the reviews of the HiFiMan headphones, for example. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back