Looking for open back full size headphone for use with a turntable
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pacal

New Head-Fier
I recently started collecting vinyl and am looking to buy a turntable and some open back headphones to enjoy my records with. Right now I am using some modded JVC HA-RX900s being amped from my PC's sound card which sound pretty good to my ears but I want something more balanced and, well, open. I mostly listen to heavy metal, electronic, jazz, and folk.

My plan so far is to get this turntable (u-turn Orbit):
http://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

Run it directly to this amp (Objective 2 with RCA input) and then...I was looking to spend $200 to $500 on a good pair of headphones. I was eyeing some Sennheiser HD 650s and Grado SR325is but then I saw the previews for the Hifiman HE-400i supposedly coming soon. Any suggestions on what would best suite my needs?

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 6

How do you know? I have next to no experience with turntables and even less with open back headphones.

Like I said, you want a headphone that doesn't emphasize surface noise, meaning, one that doesn't emphasize the highs. Open or closed doesn't matter; it's the tonal balance that's important in this case.

1, Make sure the 'table is setup properly
2. Clean the records. If you find yourself getting serious about LPs, buy a cleaning machine. Best investment you can make

If the two factors above are taken care of, you'll see minimal surface noise in most cases. OTOH, if you buy beat thrift store records, no amount of cleaning will save them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back