Looking for open airy transparent iem with iPhone 3Gs
Oct 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RE0s don't need amplification, they just get an all round boost in refinement as well as a fuller bass. They sound fine out of iphone 3g.

Ah I see. Still on my list. Thanks

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by knugge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re0 or hf5 seems possible or save up for er4. What's the difference between er4s and p?

The er4s is 100 ohms and is designed for use with an amplifier. The er4p is 32 ohms and designed for use directly from an ipod.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #19 of 31
If the Ety suggestions are making sense to you, then let me further suggest the Etymotic hf2. It's the same as the hf5, only with a mic (so you can use it as a headset) and with a button on the mic module that's an answer/hang-up button when you're on a call, or a play/pause/next-track/prev-track button when you're listening to music.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The er4s is 100 ohms and is designed for use with an amplifier. The er4p is 32 ohms and designed for use directly from an ipod.

The impedance of the 4P is actually 27 ohms, not 32.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Ety suggestions are making sense to you, then let me further suggest the Etymotic hf2. It's the same as the hf5, only with a mic (so you can use it as a headset) and with a button on the mic module that's an answer/hang-up button when you're on a call, or a play/pause/next-track/prev-track button when you're listening to music.

I've now done some more reading and I just came back here to find that you suggested what I have found could be the best option since I have an iPhone. I also found a comment that claimed that it's difficult to tell the difference between hf2 and E4P given that you listen to it unamped through hp-out on an ipod touch 2G. This might also be true for the iphone hp-out and hence it makes more sense to try the cheaper hf2s out. I'll look into where to get and how cheap they can be had. My thoughts are the hf2s will be much, much better than ADDIEMs.

Thank you all for your help.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 31
By the way I found the ER6i being sold used for 69$. How do they compare to hf2 hf5. I know they are cheaper but not that much. Here in Sweden the hf2 sells for 168$ and the hf5 (strangely) goes for 211$. I guess I just upped my price limit a fair bit :)

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

By the way I found the ER6i being sold used for 69$. How do they compare to hf2 hf5. I know they are cheaper but not that much. Here in Sweden the hf2 sells for 168$ and the hf5 (strangely) goes for 211$. I guess I just upped my price limit a fair bit :)

The Hf2 is the exact same as the Hf5, it just has a microphone so you can use it in calls with your iPhone. I can't see why the Hf2 would be cheaper than the Hf5
confused.gif

I don't really know where the best place to get Etymotic earphones would be in Sweden ... I got mine from Smartphones, Netbooks and Laptops - eXpansys Ireland

Actually, expansys have a Swedish site too - you can get the Hf2 for 1000kr inkl moms
smily_headphones1.gif
Etymotic hf2 Headset & Earphones for iPhone & Music Phones (3.5mm Jack, Black), #ER23HF2-BLACK - eXpansys Sverige

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hf2 is the exact same as the Hf5, it just has a microphone so you can use it in calls with your iPhone. I can't see why the Hf2 would be cheaper than the Hf5
confused.gif

I don't really know where the best place to get Etymotic earphones would be in Sweden ... I got mine from Smartphones, Netbooks and Laptops - eXpansys Ireland

Actually, expansys have a Swedish site too - you can get the Hf2 for 1000kr inkl moms
smily_headphones1.gif
Etymotic hf2 Headset & Earphones for iPhone & Music Phones (3.5mm Jack, Black), #ER23HF2-BLACK - eXpansys Sverige

Ok, thanks, I found them on Apples site for 1190kr freight included which is a fairly nice price.

RE0 still interesting though, I mean they only cost 99. Has anyone compared the Etys to the RE0?

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #28 of 31
thanks wasn't really a lot of people that had experience, only one, but that one biased me towards hf2 rather than RE0. Fuller midrange sounds interesting. Another thing is the lack of bass impact which seems to be an issue with both, it sure can be nice with some bottom end when listening to especially modern music. When it comes to classical and jazz I tend to think it's enough if sound goes deep so you get the ambient feel or can hear the room.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

thanks wasn't really a lot of people that had experience, only one, but that one biased me towards hf2 rather than RE0. Fuller midrange sounds interesting. Another thing is the lack of bass impact which seems to be an issue with both, it sure can be nice with some bottom end when listening to especially modern music. When it comes to classical and jazz I tend to think it's enough if sound goes deep so you get the ambient feel or can hear the room.

There is no bass issue with the HF2...given you insert it the right way. The bass is as full as it gets without becoming fake and bloated. It also has a nive texture to it, not the average boom boom kind of bass...

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 31
I think both the Hf5/Hf2 and RE0 probably need a FiiO E5 if you really want pumping bass. It's not very expensive ... maybe you could buy whichever pair of earphones you like and decide after whether you need more bass. There is a massive thread about the E5 here - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/f...graded-356177/

However, I doubt that the E5 is compatible with iPhone headset mics, so if you were using it you would not be able to answer calls on your earphones. Tough decision eh
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back