Looking for open airy transparent iem with iPhone 3Gs
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

knugge

100+ Head-Fier
So I have an iPhone 3Gs and am currently using Apple iems. Problem is I think the sound is abit closed in or veiled. It's really difficult to pin point the sonic problem since I have a hard time understanding what makes it sound this way. Perhaps it's just the way the iPhone sounds but I amhoping it will be posible to get a more open airy iem to match the somewhat veiled presentation from the iPhone. I like the sound to be open but still smooth and fluent. I am not after cold and analytical but dislike closed in or veiled sound that makes me
feel as if there was a blanket between me and the speakers.

Do you think it's possible to solve and if so what is your suggestion. Please keep it around 100$.

Thanks

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 31
Those sound interesting. I do recall people saying they are a bit analytical and bass shy. I Love full sound also, With lush sweet natural midrange without veil, forgot to mention that. Thin is not an option. Perhaps the RE-0 delivers in all aspects in relation to the price. Thanks for the tip. Sadly they can't be bought in store not even internet here in Sweden. Has to be bought directly

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 31
Get some IEM 6 from fischer, the FA-999 is the latest ones of premium series, they are in budget for consumers who are interested in the bang-of-the-bucks.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 31
Klipsch S4i might be right up your alley, several users also own the Apple IEM and like the S4i more, there are 2 or three good threads on these at the moment to give you more information.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 31
Have a look at these three shootouts:

Shootout 1
Shootout 2 (NuForce NE-7M is here)
Shootout 3

I believe the sound aspect you are looking for is called “Soundstage”. The above reviewer rates it as wide (good) vs. narrow (bad). He placed the NuForce NE-7M at "Great / Wide".

Based on those (and many other reviews I read) I decided on the NuForce NE-7M for myself, but my shipment has not arrived yet, so I can’t add my personal experience with them yet.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 31
I have owned the NE-7M and currently own the Klipsch S4i and I think the soundstage of the Klipsch is similar to the NE-7M and about as good as you can get in an IEM this price range. If you want more bass and possibly a wider soundstage you can also check out the Adio Technica CKS70, it is supposed to have a huge sound stage as big as the Senn IE7 and very deep bass, the only negative I have heard about it is that it has some microphonics issues with it's cable. It can be had from places like accessoryjack.com for no more than $100 shipped.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 31
As far as "open and airy" the JVC FX500 would fit the bill. It's an open-back design, which tends towards an open warm sound as well. Slightly over your stated budget at $135, but IMO worth it.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by knugge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do recall people saying they are a bit analytical and bass shy. I Love full sound also, With lush sweet natural midrange without veil, forgot to mention that. Thin is not an option.

Haha tricky, they are the most natural sounding IEMs I have heard but not lush or sweet and whilst I don't think they are lacking bass (both in general and relative to the other frequencies) but they are among to more bass-light IEMs. When I first got them I thought that they were rather thin sounding but I got used to them and I think the characteristics of this IEM that give it the slightly thin sound also lend themselves to the airy sound signature.

Amplification (I use them with the EF2) gives them a slightly fuller bass and sound in general but wouldn't fix them if you don't like them in the first place, the difference is not overly significant.

Soundstage is average.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 31
RE0 or HF5.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 31
Hmm yes it is tricky indeed. The balance between open, non veiled mids and full sound is perhaps the most puzzling thing for anyone making speakers, iems or floorstanding. Soundstage I think comes autmomatically when there are enough microdetail in the mids and the bass. However it is possible to fake the feeling of airy or wide by adjusting the frequency response curve.

By open and airy I guess I am actually talking about really detailed and nuanced midrange and bass. My thoughts are that the treble really isn't that much of a difficulty to get good if you are a manufacturer.

Thank you all for your tips so far. The FA Eterna that Clieos wrote about sound highly interesting also. Problem is where to buy. Here in Sweden FA are sold by one store and prices are roughly 5 times those clieos mentions. The RE0 also seem to be An interesting option with the reservation that it might actually need amplification and that is not really an option for me. I like to carry my 3Gs only. That's why I got it, to get rid of a DAP and a phone and only carry one thing.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 31
From your last post, I'd really suggest the HF5s then. They sound very similar to the ER4P and can be grabbed at $100 new from Amazon at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back