Looking for OGG Compatible Players
Sep 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Inkmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys.

I was in an electronics store the other day and was blown away to see that the 120GB iPod Classic is now as cheap as $250. I just started my first 'real job' out of college and think I'm going to use part of my first check to get a better DAP. I've loved my iAudio U2, but have found the size to be fairly constrictive and the battery is dying anyways.

That said, I want to get a player that can hold most or all of my music. I don't think I'll need 120 gigs, but I'll need something larger than a 20 gig player for sure. I was thinking 60, or even 40, would do it.

My question is: what OGG compatible players are there that meet my size requirements? I ripped most of my CDs in OGG. I've been searching around a little this afternoon and have come up rather empty handed. I had wanted an iAudio X5L for a long time, but they're looking a little outdated these days. Everything else I've found is not all that inspiring.

Any word on when and if Rockbox will support the Classic? Hmm, maybe 5.5s are really cheap now... who knows.

Anyways, if anyone sees something I'm missing, or just knows something I don't since I haven't been reading up on audio for the past year, I'd love to know. Thanks.

edit: effin' A. I just checked up on amazon for 5.5s and somehow they're more expensive new than the 6. I ask you, What mate?

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 9
Most of the irivers, if not all, are OGG compatibale. COWON/iAudio, Meizu, Sansa Clip w/latest firmware. All of these are OGG comaptible but the Clip functions like it was made for OGG.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 9
yeah. The Cowon A3 is looking closest to meeting my needs at the moment, though it's a little pricey. The video stuff is nice, and I will probably enjoy it, but a big device that reads this format and sounds good are my main search criteria.

Lewislink: I checked, and except for some of Cowon's players, they all lack sufficient hard drive space.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot about the Samsungs, they are aalso compatible wih OGG....at least the T10 and P2 are.

My T10 has an ogg decoding problem where it is set to low accuracy mode (damn lazy developers...). So songs with lots of bass and not much else get distorted. It was a problem in the 'Tremor' decoder and Samsung still haven't updated the firmware to fix it :/.

Could also affect other players from different brands, so do your homework before committing to buying a player.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 9
hmm.. yeah, I'm doing my homework just by talking to you guys.

From what I've been reading, it's looking like I'm gonna be staying in Cowon's camp... Ah well, they've always made sure everything they make sounds good, and they've always championed OGG.

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.. yeah, I'm doing my homework just by talking to you guys.

From what I've been reading, it's looking like I'm gonna be staying in Cowon's camp... Ah well, they've always made sure everything they make sounds good, and they've always championed OGG.

You're in luck because the D2 had a firmware update released for the ogg playback quality. I7 .ogg sound quality - iAudiophile.net Forums <-- it doesn't look like it is fixed for all Cowon players though.

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, you may want to pick up a 5 or 5.5G iPod.
Great portable players, which are supported by Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back