Looking for noticeable upgrade from my current headphones. Please help.
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kayan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello and thanks for taking a look at my post. Any help is appreciated. I'll start off by saying that there are 0 headphone/home theater dealers in my area, so trying before buying is not really a possibility. I'll have to rely on return policies. With that out of the way, here goes....

I currently have a Fidelio X2HR and an AQ Nighthawk Carbon, plus an Audeze Mobius. I'm looking for something that is a clear step up sonically. Previously, I have owned a Sony Z7 and AKG K702 Anniversary. I enjoyed the sound of the Z7 more, but the 702 was more comfortable to me.

I have tried many, many headphones in the past, but it's been 6 years or so since the last headphone meet I attended, and a bit longer than that since I had a close by shop to try stuff. Back then my favorite sounding headphone was the LCD 2 (fazor model, and my end game that I wanted after attending the headphone meet was the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly alternative/rock, 90s hip hop, and rapcore. I prefer non-flat headphones. A warm signature, if you will. I highly dislike brightness and am sensitive to sibilance.

I have a JDS Labs Element II dac/amp combo that will be used to drive whatever I get, and I can't change this now so just headphones.

My budget is under $1000 and would prefer to order from Amazon or Best Buy (I have gift cards) -- though I know that this isn't always feasible.

I'm kind of looking at the Denon D5200/7200, LCD-2 2021 edition (closed or open), Aeon 2 (open or closed), and Hifi-Man Ananda. Thoughts?

I'll be using these for both music and gaming (PC) at my desk with the above dac/amp. Would any of the above be suitable? If not, what else would you recommend within the parameters I listed? Thanks!

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Dec 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 15
ZMF Atticus, can be found at or a bit over budget. However I would recommend researching on how good of a pairing the Atticus is with your amp/DAC prior to buying.

EDIT: AFAIK, the Atticus is not available at Best Buy or Amazon, and can only be found direct from ZMF in the USA, and from authorized dealers elsewhere.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 15
The Denon AH-D7200 is every bit what you're describing, to my ear.

That said, you can get a similar sound for less money with the Focal Elegia if you're willing to run some EQ to warm them up.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 15
ZMF Atticus, can be found at or a bit over budget. However I would recommend researching on how good of a pairing the Atticus is with your amp/DAC prior to buying.

EDIT: AFAIK, the Atticus is not available at Best Buy or Amazon, and can only be found direct from ZMF in the USA, and from authorized dealers elsewhere.
They are not available from Amazon, and from what I'm seeing there's basically nothing high(er) end from Best Buy. Oh well. Wish I could combine all of my credit from Best Buy, Crutchfield, and Amazon into one. I have decided to wait until after tomorrow to order, just in case someone else decides to gift me a gift card from somewhere (unlikely, but maybe the wifey will come through, lol).
The Denon AH-D7200 is every bit what you're describing, to my ear.

That said, you can get a similar sound for less money with the Focal Elegia if you're willing to run some EQ to warm them up.
I keep coming back to the Denon. Every time I look at something else, I keep coming back to these and the LCD-2. I wish I could listen to either before purchasing though.

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 15
They are not available from Amazon,
look into the original Focal Clear. Nice, easy to drive headphone that doesnt require a hardcore amp to drive. theyre $1100.00 on Amazon

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 15
No pro audio or DJ supply stores either ?
Some of those carry an extensive range …
I've got a Guitar Center here, and that's it. There's one local home theater shop, but the owner is an absolute jerk and possibly misogynistic (he insulted my wife while we were auditioning some speakers). Other than that, 2 hours is the next closest.
look into the original Focal Clear. Nice, easy to drive headphone that doesnt require a hardcore amp to drive. theyre $1100.00 on Amazon
I'll check these out. I looked into the entry Focal headphones, but the overwhelming majority of reviews claimed they were extremely bright. That's an automatic no go for me. Are the Clears better in that regard?

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Such a personal thing choosing headphones, maybe the 2 hour dive might be worth it in the end ?
Taking your wife to the New Year sales may increase your budget a little too ? …. Lol
Hahaha. That trip would require bringing along 3 children, 2-6 yrs old, and while 6 year old would think it's awesome, my other two would be done within 20 minutes. If I did something like that I'd need a dealer close by for every brand I was interested in. That's rough.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 15
Hello and thanks for taking a look at my post. Any help is appreciated. I'll start off by saying that there are 0 headphone/home theater dealers in my area, so trying before buying is not really a possibility. I'll have to rely on return policies. With that out of the way, here goes....

I currently have a Fidelio X2HR and an AQ Nighthawk Carbon, plus an Audeze Mobius. I'm looking for something that is a clear step up sonically. Previously, I have owned a Sony Z7 and AKG K702 Anniversary. I enjoyed the sound of the Z7 more, but the 702 was more comfortable to me.

I have tried many, many headphones in the past, but it's been 6 years or so since the last headphone meet I attended, and a bit longer than that since I had a close by shop to try stuff. Back then my favorite sounding headphone was the LCD 2 (fazor model, and my end game that I wanted after attending the headphone meet was the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime. I listen to a variety of music, but mostly alternative/rock, 90s hip hop, and rapcore. I prefer non-flat headphones. A warm signature, if you will. I highly dislike brightness and am sensitive to sibilance.

I have a JDS Labs Element II dac/amp combo that will be used to drive whatever I get, and I can't change this now so just headphones.

My budget is under $1000 and would prefer to order from Amazon or Best Buy (I have gift cards) -- though I know that this isn't always feasible.

I'm kind of looking at the Denon D5200/7200, LCD-2 2021 edition (closed or open), Aeon 2 (open or closed), and Hifi-Man Ananda. Thoughts?

I'll be using these for both music and gaming (PC) at my desk with the above dac/amp. Would any of the above be suitable? If not, what else would you recommend within the parameters I listed? Thanks!
I'd go with the Hifiman Ananda. I just sold my Aeon closed back, not worth that kind of money but the Ananda is. The Focal Elegia is good if closed back is a must. The fit and finish on them is really first class.
The crystal core cables hifiman makes is actually worth it, on the Ananda they sound noticably better than stock if you get those.

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Hey all. I've got some updates on my journey. I purchased the Aeon 2 Noire and was able to get a loaner LCD-2C shipped from my home theater guy.

The Aeon 2 is impressive right away. They're quite comfortable and sounded pretty good. I ran music through them, at varying volumes. After about 60 hours, though, I'm not so enthralled with them anymore. The highs are peaky and for gaming the gunshots are ping-y. The band is uncomfortable and my ears get ridiculously hot (I've had closed back before, and they didn't get that hot with others). I'm going to request a return.

The LCD-2C - wow, where to begin. The first night my neck was killing me. The sound is phenomenal (these were already broken in)! After 2 days without using them, I tried again. I was much more cognizant of how I was sitting and/or resting. After gaming and music listening all weekend, I do believe these are the ones.

That being said, I'm going to my old city in about 3 weeks and will be able to try more cans there. Is there anything I should make it a point to try, before I purchase these? Or should I just get them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back