Looking for Non-Conductive Epoxy or Resins
Nov 26, 2013 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I've recently embarked on a cable build, and I, for the life of me, can't seem to find a stereo phono that fits (there was a thread about it a week ago or so).  In case you missed it, don't care, or simply don't remember, I'm making a cable for a V-Moda m80.  I can't find a stereo phono that will fit into the recessed port on the left earcup (the end on the headphones, not the amp's end).  So now I'm reverting to problem solving, and I think I have everything figured out if I can find out what sort of glue/resin I should use.

So I've pretty much given up on finding a perfect termination that fits, and have decided to wire up a great connector, and carve a mold, then inject some non-conductive glue/epoxy/resin...etc around it, then finish it up like I normally would.  I know a lot of you on here know much more about conduction than I, and am interested in any suggestions.  For the record, I tried actual epoxy, but it is apparently kind of conductive (and the multimeter didn't really warn me like I thought it would).  Anyway, I suppose that's it... Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Have you modded the headphones already?
Try the amphenol 3.5mm in chrome black. It has an extended shaft that might fit in the M80s. Otherwise contact peter at DHC and ask if his new slim plug fits.

Many around here use epoxy putty to do connector molds although I have not done so myself and wouldve never even thought about checking for conductivity on it...

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 5
The bicycle manufacturers found out that epoxy was conductive when they made bikes with epoxy tubes and aluminum fittings.

Why don't you write the epoxy experts "West System" and ask them?

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Interesting

Quoted from a webpage;

"An epoxy is a resin used for bonding or coating. Most epoxies are not conductive, but some epoxies contain conductive metals, such as silver or nickel. These electrically conductive resins are used to coat or bond electrical components."

"Epoxies unless filled are insulators. Cured epoxy is not very flammable- it has no vapor pressure which means that it has to degrade before it will burn. However, JB Weld- a metal filled epoxy is conductive, although not as conductive as a solid piece of metal. Standard fillers such as microballoons will NOT make an epoxy conductive by the way- it takes a conductive material to do that."

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back