Looking for nice over-ear headphones for around £100
Aug 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

EvaPilot1

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi.
I recently bought a new computer monitor only to find the speakers on it are less than tolerable. I was looking at speakers but have decided to spend a little extra and get some great dedicated headphones with a clippy mic instead of one of those gaming headsets. I have been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 as I understand they offer excellent quality for a low price. I live in the UK and unfortunately the M50's seem to be a little more expensive over here. Pushing the £140 range rather than the £100 equivalent they should be on amazon. Can you please recommend an appropriate headset of equivalent quality?

Here are my requirements:
They will be plugged into my monitor and used for everything, movies, games, all kinds of music but mostly symphonic metal, so I would like something that works well all around without colouring the audio too much (Or something that works well with symphonic metal or female fronted metal, I think I would like something "true" but honestly I'm not sure on the mechanics behind audio quality.)
I would like something over ear and comfortable as they will be used whenever I am at my computer, which is pretty much all the time.
I do not mind about isolation or noise cancelling, the truth is I am on my own and wouldn't mind hearing what's going on around me, open headsets would be fantastic but if they can't match quality for price with the closed headsets, then either would be fine, although I do like the idea of closed ones I could use elsewhere. I would also like something that is easy to drive without an amp. I'd like some that I could pop into any device without a lot of fuss and just go with it.

I would be looking to buy them on amazon.co.uk
Some I have looked at are the M50's, but they are too expensive here. Sony MDR ZX700 (also v-6's but they are not over ear, although they seem to be a massive steal at £50) AKG K240 (both MK1 and 2, not sure what the difference is, but M2's are more expensive) and the audio technica a500/a700 and the closed variants. But they seem to be very oddly priced. (AKG K271 m2's also seem reasonably priced, a little more than the k240 m2) one of my american friends also suggested a Sennheiser HD280 Pro for $99 which interested me, but again, they seem to have suffered some kind of price hike at £120 over here. K550's also seem nicely reduced at £130 but it is pushing a little bit.

I'd like some help. I also wouldn't mind if they looked cool and stylish, although that doesn't matter much, as comfort and sound quality is my main concern. Looking around though I have to admit the AKG's are starting to appeal to me more and more. I just don't know how they sound.
(PS I rewrote this post because I've been looking around and decided to clarify)

I feel like I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. Honestly though I would prefer some outside suggestions rather than going on reviews.
Audio Technica ATH-M50: £132
AKG K551: £129 (K550 is the same price)
Audio Technica ATH A900X: £135

But I also have to admit I found the K240 MII appealing for £95. Asnd the k271 mk2 for £110 but felt it was worth pushing for the K550 if I went that route. Are any of these not up to audiophile standard? I have to admit I may be leaning towards the A900X but it may not be well stocked and I might have to scrap that idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back