Looking for new surround setup, 500$ Budget.
Jan 9, 2016 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mkilbride

Head-Fier
I have a Denon 1312. It's a small room. I recently decided to upgrade my budget form 300$ to 500$. Previously I had Energy Take RC Micro's, fairly good and I enjoyed them, however, most of the set randomly died on me, I tried everything, and can't figure out why. So I want a replacement. I paid 250$ for em, 3 years ago, however now, on ehre I have been getting suggestions and such, I was thinking of perhaps upgrading my budget.
My room is however small, so floor-standing won't work. I suppose I'll have to wall-mount them. Preferably at the corners of my walls so I could angle them downwards.
This is for a Desktop PC, so I'll be sitting close. Closer to one side of the room, that is. The JBL's have been recommended, with keeping my price range within 200$. 2 40's for my mains, 2 30's for my rears, and a 20 for my Center. Still, googling doesn't say fair things about these and I worry they'd be a downgrade from my RC Micros. The Infinity Primus are about double the price, as instead of 60$ for a pair, it's 65-75$ for a single. Reviews of those however, are stellar. So I might be willing to upgrade my budget for that.
Like grabbing 4x of these: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P163BK/Infinity-Primus-P163.html?tp=186

for 300$. Leaving enough for a center. I already have a F12 BiC Subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M  

Far to big for my room, but it was priced right.
I know my Denon 1312 is pretty lowend, but I don't really have it in the budget to be going for a new one, at the moment. Stretching the budget to 500$ is already more than I wanted, but audio is important to me in my gaming. However I also found used pair of RC Micro for 200$. Which I am considering, because I didn't have to many problems with them, they sounded great to me, of course, until they didn't and died. So while it seems almost perfect(With an upgraded receiver, I could even do 7.1, re-using my two still working Micro's from this set), I am wary since my others died after just 3 years. Fluke, I know, the used set I buy could last 20, but still.
Also a worry that my current receiver couldn't really make use of such fine speakers.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Since you liked your energy take micro. Why not look at take classics? I've had a set since 2006. I did have the mid range driver in one satellite die on me in that time. Before klipsch/audiovox bought the company, they still sold replacement parts direct. I was able to purchase a mid range driver for about $65 shipped, and repaired that satellite. I managed to get ahold of a pair of take5 satellites with blown mid range drivers for free, and found a pair of the drivers online for $70, and turned them into a 2.1 set for my PC.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Where did you read that? They're rated for more power, and cost more. But hard to believe they sound significantly better based on the cabinet volumes and driver sizes alone. I've only held both, not done any listening comparisons. But the micros felt noticeably less substantial. The speakers were significantly lighter, and had spring clips instead of binding posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back