Looking for new speakers
Apr 17, 2016 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AltecXP

New Head-Fier
Hey, It's been a while since I've posted up anything.

I recently picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC USB w/ Acrylic platter, and an HK3490 receiver. I'm now looking for recommendations for some speakers. I'd like to keep it under 500 shipped for them if I can, and I'm looking for recommendations in the large bookshelf variety. The music genres I listen to are mainly electronica, prog rock, and metal. Though there is the occasional live album and acoustic. About the only thing I DON'T listen to is polka.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey, It's been a while since I've posted up anything.

I recently picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC USB w/ Acrylic platter, and an HK3490 receiver. I'm now looking for recommendations for some speakers. I'd like to keep it under 500 shipped for them if I can, and I'm looking for recommendations in the large bookshelf variety. The music genres I listen to are mainly electronica, prog rock, and metal. Though there is the occasional live album and acoustic. About the only thing I DON'T listen to is polka.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

From everything I have read recently, the new Elac B6 is the best bang for the buck under $500. That includes the recent review in Stereophile magazine. I don't have them, but have other Andrew Jones speakers and continue to be very impressed. I also recommend the Emotiva S6 as a powered monitor. I pair them with a Pro-ject turntable in my office and love,love,love this setup! I listen to all kinds of music ranging from country western to classical, to rock, and plan on using this setup for years to come. Though I may sell some older gear to find a pair of the Elac's.

Edit: I meant "fund" a pair.

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 3
I used to have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, and I used Dynaudio BM5a mkII monitors with them. They can be found used on ebay for about $500 for a pair. They're active monitors, though. I love Dynaudio sound, but their passive speakers tend to be harder to find and more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back