Looking for new speakers
Feb 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rycon

New Head-Fier
My setup: xfi-extreme gamer,klipsch S4 earphones,creative 5.1 speakers (cheap and bad)

Usage: Voip, Music (Dub,Dnb,Ambient,Electro,Rock), Movies
Other: Occaisonal house parties, Gaming

I prefer sound clarity over high power

Is it possible to buy speakers giving the same sound quality and stage as an hd555 headphone with 200E budget?

Should I go for 5.1 setup or 2.0/2.1?

Budget around 200 Euros

Thanks Head-fi

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 25
For 200 euros £170, you would be better of with a 2.1, since you will need the bass for listening to dnb & dub, the edifier s530 is a good option, or you could spend a bit more and put together your own 2.1 system.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 25
My Swan vs M-audio review:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19882376#post19882376

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 25
Are the m-audio's or Swan better then the edifier?

After reading 062S2 review i am leaning towards the Swans..Are these speakers pre-amped or will I need an amplifier in  order to use theme?

I am looking for something which gives me crystal clear sound :)

Also i forgot to note that I will need these speakers delivered to Malta so shopping for the us is not viable.If its something that could be bought from amazon it would be perfect

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Is it the av-40 your considering?, read the 9th post http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/535419/2-1-vs-2-0-pc-speakers-comparison , the av40 is made with cheap junk, the swans will likely sound better than the edifier, but the edifiers will have more low-end due to a much bigger 8"inch sub, i think most the swan speakers are active so no amp required.

Would adding a sub in the future make the sound much better?Having a system that's upgradable is very handy for someone like me with low budget.

I heard the z-5500 sound system and it sound great with surround sound.Will the swans sound better if tough they are 2ch and not 5.1? Also please give me some suggestion as to where I could buy them (if it is not against the rules of this forum) and delivered to Malta.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 25
Yes adding a sub reduces the frequence load on the bookshelf speakers and gives you a proper low-end, you only need 5.1 for games and movies it's pointless for 2channel audio, the swans will sound alot better with music but the z-5500 will be alot better at gaming and movies but not so good with music.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 25
Well most of the time i use my computer for Voip and music.I think for professional gaming you are better off using a headset instead of 5.1 speakers.As for movies I do watch a lot but as long as the sound quality is acceptable its fine for me.

Now I am trying to decide between the swans and m-audio as many people seem to recommend them at this price range.Where can i buy these speakers? (needs to be delivered to Malta)

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 25
rycon writes:

Budget around 200 Euros

For 200 Euros you could buy a really rather good second-hand integrated amplifier and speakers which I suspect would be very much superior to the options available to you new.

Throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's truly vast numbers of integrated amps and speakers were made and so you can buy these very cheaply today.

The amps and speakers being sold today do not sound better than the ones made in the previous decades.

For listening to music, or indeed any sound about which quality is a concern, then the "2" setup is probably going to give the best quality.

If you buy second-hand this is a smart move for the environment because you won't have created a demand for manufacture of something we already have ready made in plentiful supplies.

With your good integrated amp and stereo speaker pair nicely set up then at some future date if you go into a computer shop and listen to some budget 2.1 "active" speaker system for comparison I think it is likely you will be very glad you didn't buy it.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 25
Problem is where will I find second hand speakers/amp?

I don't really like buying second hand especially locally since people here tend to be very careless when it comes to handling appliances.

But if you got a great site to suggest me then just link and I'll have a look

I cant find anyone selling swan on ebay/amazon/play.They are only selling m-audio's.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 25

Well I notice you are in Malta, so you can buy on eBay from anyone doing international delivery. In the UK part of eBay there are always many integrated amplifiers and speakers available. You will find people offering international delivery because to be honest, the prices we in the UK get for overseas sales are often much better than those available in the UK. There is no secret to the reason for this, the UK is just absolutely full of hi fi systems, you can hardly move for them :)

Even if people don't offer international delivery you can politely suggest it to them in an email. Often they just haven't thought of doing it.

Those integrated amplifiers of the 80s and 90s, are for the most part easily fixed by a competent electrical engineer type, so, even if the amp arrives broken you could very likely just get it fixed anyway and still be massively ahead in the "quality for cost" ratio than buying new.

The most likely problem with speakers is that they may need re-foaming. However this is a very easy job and the same person who would fix any problems with an amp can refoam your speakers as well.

Obviously this is all a suggestion, so if it all sounds like difficulty for you just ignore my comment :)

However it is also true that once you get a bit into the way of buying second-hand audio there really is no going back to new imho, because you just get such great quality for much less money.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 25
If i go for the M-audio should I buy the bx5a or av 40?

Some reviews say that the av 40's are very good but other reviewrs say that they sound really bad... Would the m-audio bx5a sound as good as swan ?

I cant find the swan speakers of 200 - 300E range on ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back