Looking for "new" rap/hip-hop
Aug 22, 2007 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Blockman86

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of Aesop Rock, MFDoom, Binary Star and obviously Sage Francis. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other rappers/hip-hop artists I might enjoy. More mainstream artists I enjoy in this genre are Common, older Nas and TCQ.

Anything else out there I should be checking out?

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockman86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a big fan of Aesop Rock, MFDoom, Binary Star and obviously Sage Francis. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other rappers/hip-hop artists I might enjoy. More mainstream artists I enjoy in this genre are Common, older Nas and TCQ.

Edan
Blackalicious
J-live
Curse ov dialect

P.S. If you don't already have the non-prophets album you need to get it. Definitely Sage's best album.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Atmosphere, Gym Class Heroes, Louis Logic, Eyedea, Zion I.
That should get you started

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 18
I really enjoy J-live and Blackalicious. I'll have to check out the 2 others you posted.

I've been trying to find a copy of the Non-prophets album for a while now (Hope, right?). I'll just have to order it online at some point.

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 18
Cannibal Ox
El-P (though these two should be obvious if you're a fan of Aesop Rock)
Jean Grae
Sean Price
Immortal Technique
Blue Scholars
Abstract Tribe Unique

those are a few in addition to the other great suggestions made here. and don't forget, the new Aesop Rock album comes out in 6 days (of course it's been leaked, but that copy is crap).

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Heck ya, Atmosphere and Eyedea and Abilities are sick. Also, you may want to look into a group called "The Coupe". The song "Ride the Fence" is all over Youtube, and really a sweet song. Check out Slug (from Atmosphere) and Eyedea's freestyle on the Wake Up Show (also on Youtube) it's really good stuff.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

I really enjoy J-live and Blackalicious. I'll have to check out the 2 others you posted.

I've been trying to find a copy of the Non-prophets album for a while now (Hope, right?). I'll just have to order it online at some point.

Thanks!

Yeah Hope is pretty hard to find at a shop. Thankfully I live near many amoebas and rasputins.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 18
I'll second Cannibal Ox
The Coup/Jurassic 5 have been high on my play list lately. There's always an off chance you haven't heard either. In which case check out both.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cannibal Ox
El-P (though these two should be obvious if you're a fan of Aesop Rock)
Jean Grae
Sean Price
Immortal Technique
Blue Scholars
Abstract Tribe Unique

those are a few in addition to the other great suggestions made here. and don't forget, the new Aesop Rock album comes out in 6 days (of course it's been leaked, but that copy is crap).

Yeah I'm a big fan of Cannibal Ox but I don't know El-P, I'll have to check it out. Can't wait for the new Aesop album, haven't heard any of it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, these should keep me busy for a while.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 18
someone I'd forgotten about until listening to him in the car today is Qwel. I've only heard "Freezer Burner" and "If it Ain't Been in a Pawn Shop Then it Can't Play the Blues," but they're both like DAMN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back