Looking for new overear headphones+amp/dac
Jun 22, 2019 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shmueltz

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I am looking for a new overear headphones and an amp/dac combo to compliment them.
I have for work the vmoda Crossfade 2 wireless with the es100.
I enjoy them very much I love bass because I tend to listen alot to hip hop,rap but also metal.

I have 400$ for both the headphones and amp/dac.

I have thought about the akg k7xx and O2 amp/dac.
What are your opinions? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 8
These seem to be the best deals in their price range...

DAC: Grace SDAC or Schiit Modi 3
Amp: Monoprice Liquid Spark or JDS Labs Atom
Closed: Meze 99 Noir
Open: Sennheiser HD58X or HD6XX or AKG K7XX or Philips Fidelio X2.

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 8
These seem to be the best deals in their price range...

DAC: Grace SDAC or Schiit Modi 3
Amp: Monoprice Liquid Spark or JDS Labs Atom
Closed: Meze 99 Noir
Open: Sennheiser HD58X or HD6XX or AKG K7XX or Philips Fidelio X2.

I can't seem to afford standalone amp and dac because of high shipping to my country. What combo would you recommend? Is the O2 with the grace sdac combo will be good?

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I can't seem to afford standalone amp and dac because of high shipping to my country. What combo would you recommend? Is the O2 with the grace sdac combo will be good?

Tbh, I don’t know anything about the O2, so I can’t say how it stacks against the ES100, or FiiO’s Q1. At least the RCA connectors in the back can output a proper line out from the DAC section if you decide to upgrade the amp in the future. Or a DAC upgrade if the O2’s amp section is more to your liking than the grace’s SDAC. That, on paper, makes it look like a safe purchase.

You won’t need a ton of power for the HD58X, but it will benefit from better sources, so pairing it with a dedicated DAC/amp combo is probably an excellent audiophile entry point.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 8
I think that would be a perfectly reasonable option for you. You don't actually even need an O2 for an HD58X--it is easy to drive.
Tbh, I don’t know anything about the O2, so I can’t say how it stacks against the ES100, or FiiO’s Q1. At least the RCA connectors in the back can output a proper line out from the DAC section if you decide to upgrade the amp in the future. Or a DAC upgrade if the O2’s amp section is more to your liking than the grace’s SDAC. That, on paper, makes it look like a safe purchase.

You won’t need a ton of power for the HD58X, but it will benefit from better sources, so pairing it with a dedicated DAC/amp combo is probably an excellent audiophile entry point.

Do you think I need a tube amp or will the O2 be enough?

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 8
Do you think I need a tube amp or will the O2 be enough?

I don’t know that anyone ever *needs* tubes, exactly. Certainly some headphones need tons of power, but the HD58X isn’t one of them. Pretty sure the O2 has all the juice that you need. That said, something like the CTH probably makes the 58X sound even better. The price on the SDAC/CTH combo is pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back